The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2012, 10:04 AM   #1
PunchinPaper

Which 6.5 Creedmoor Dies do you recommend?

Hi, I just got a 6.5 CM Ruger Target Rifle.
It shoots great groups with factory ammo, I have been whittling down the two cases of ammo I bought. Now its time to hit the bench, but before I do I need to pick up some dies. So... What dies are you guys using?
What do ya recommend and why? I use RCBS dies for the majority of my reloading, mainly handgun and a couple rifles (270,308,30-06).
I also have a couple of Lee Collet dies for 30-06 & 243 that I like to use.
For the most part my reloading of rifle ammo has been with FL dies and sometimes i partial neck size for my bolt guns. I know some may frown upon that type of practice, but hey my results have been very pleasing. I am trying to get into precision reloading like i know most of the LR guys do. So now I'm here for help.. Should I just go with FL RCBS and partial size like I have been with other cals or get some high dollar comp dies? Money isn't a factor here as I want what works the best. Any input is welcome. Thanks
Old April 6, 2013, 06:37 PM   #2
bigamehunter93

I need the answer to this same question.......^^^^
Old April 6, 2013, 09:05 PM   #3

I don't load it, but I was pondering the same question last night. I'd love to hear more about the cartridge as I noticed that Ruger is chambering rifles for it as well as Savage. In any case, when it comes to dies, I look at REDDING first. They should have what you're looking for and Midway or Graf & Sons should stock them.
Old April 6, 2013, 09:12 PM   #4
reynolds357

I have the Hornaday full length set for my Creedmoore, but its a hunting rifle not a bench rest rifle. They work fine. No complaints. Not B.R. quality, but they did not cost $200+ so I don't expect them to be.
Old April 6, 2013, 09:53 PM   #5
603Country

Regarding dies, recently I bought and used several types of sizing dies for my 223 to see what gave me best accuracy. I went from least expensive (Lee Collet) to rather expensive (Redding FL bushing die). I got best accuracy using the Lee Collet die. That doesn't make my testing the final answer to what works best for you, but since the Lee die is the cheapest, you might as well start with that one. I loaded and shot enough ammo from that die and the others that when the smoke cloud drifted away, I was quite sure of the final result - Lee Collet Die won. I fired hundreds of reloads to get to that conclusion.

That said, pretty much any of the available dies will give you good ammo if you set it up and use it properly. For my rifle, in order, from most accurate to least accurate: Lee Collet Die, Redding FL Bushing Die, Redding FL Die (standard type), Redding Neck Sizing Die (standard type), Redding FL Die used for Partial Resizing. Partial resizing works best on cases with more body taper than the 223 case has. Partial resize a case with little taper and you will most likely cause the case shoulder to move forward, causing some degree of crush fit when you close the bolt. I believe, right or wrong, that when the shoulder is forced into the end of the chamber, you are negatively impacting accuracy.

Last edited by 603Country; April 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old April 7, 2013, 09:14 AM   #6
oldscot3

Lucky you. I bought a scope, brass, and Redding dies. I have 600 bullets on hand just waiting for my Ruger 77 Target in 6.5 Creedmore. Now I can't find a rifle anywhere.

BTW I had to pay full retail from Sinclair to get the dies. They were the only place with them in stock when I bought.
Old April 7, 2013, 09:28 AM   #7
Jimro

The best dies?

I've reloaded using Lee, RCBS, Hornady, and even Herter's (I found a set of Herter's 6.5x55 dies used). Honestly you'll be able to make quality ammo with any set of dies.

Looking through Midway's offerings, I picked out three by price range.

Hornady's basic offering: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/543...t-65-creedmoor

Hornady's better offering: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/160...t-65-creedmoor

Although if money weren't an option, this would probably be the set I would buy. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/292...t-65-creedmoor.

The three hundred dollar Redding competition set of reloading dies is probably worth every penny, but I can't see paying 300 dollars for a set of dies at this point in my life.

Jimro