The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 27, 2012, 08:19 PM   #51
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypungunz4life
and getting to your last part...not real sure why this keeps being compared to cars but since you asked....if it is an accident, no I don't expect to be charged unless I was texting, drunk, etc.
Which gets us back to my post.

Unless there was an unknown mechanical defect with the firearm that caused the discharge, this was not an "accidental" discharge, it was a "negligent" discharge. The fact that it undoubtedly wasn't intentional does not make it less negligent. If it were intentional, we wouldn't be debating "accidental" or "negligent," we'd be discussing assault with a deadly weapon, and possibly attempted murder.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:20 PM   #52
therealdeal

it does seem the indvidual was way in the wrong BUT

Quote:
Who should we blame other than the person who pulled the trigger?
sometimes no one is to blame in a tragic accident. It remains to be seen how the incident is conclusively labeled. Brian made a good point about how the same exact incident could have been looked upon if the bullet missed this individual as close as it could have come to hitting him.

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old November 27, 2012, 08:42 PM   #53
YARDDOG(1)

"[Unless there was an unknown mechanical defect with the firearm that caused the discharge, this was not an "accidental" discharge, it was a "negligent" discharge]"

Exactly, If the firearm is in great shape it was a ND, No and if or buts.

Not to get of track, Anyone tacking bets on the kind of gun- Black one
would be my guess ; )

Y/D
Old November 27, 2012, 09:17 PM   #54
zincwarrior

Well, after just having taken my M&P to a name brand sports store to get a sight installed, I have to say my opinion is even stronger. I was swept by my old gun by two employees multiple times. The first one looked at me strangely when I flinched and acting strangely when I told him why. Even though I knew it was empty and showed the first employee, the wanton waving was incredibly disturbing.

Even my youngest daughter, who believes the purpose of pistols is to annihilate old pumpkins with extreme prejudice, knows not to do that.
Old November 28, 2012, 01:53 AM   #55
therealdeal

I feel your pain

Quote:
Even my youngest daughter, who believes the purpose of pistols is to annihilate old pumpkins with extreme prejudice, knows not to do that.
I agree with you zinc. Even persons without any firearms knowledge know not to do this. I have seen it happen at gun shops multiple times.

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)

Tags
accidental discharge , gun shops , gun stores , negligent discharge , shooting