The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 9, 2012, 04:03 PM   #26
TailGator

I have visited NYC, DC, and a handful of foreign countries. I don't prefer it that way, but I don't allow the lack of reasonable firearm laws keep me from enjoying good experiences.
Old October 9, 2012, 04:14 PM   #27
sigcurious

Having lived in most of the anti-carry places(DC, Chicago, NYC, unfriendly portion of California), I would not restrict my travel. Particularly with family and friends along the NE corridor it can't just not travel there.

Quote:
Keep in mind as well, most anti states means more then just no ccw. It means no guns period. No just in case rifle/pistol even if its unloaded and cased in the trunk.
What state has a statewide transportation or possession ban?

Edited to add: or possession

Last edited by sigcurious; October 9, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old October 9, 2012, 04:18 PM   #28
Skans

Most states that are anti-gun states have little if nothing that interests me there anyway. I'll go on business if I have to - having to travel by plan pretty much rules out carrying (I don't hassle with checking baggage).
Old October 9, 2012, 04:25 PM   #29
bumnote

When I go from VA to PA with friends to hunt and shoot, we unload anything we're carrying concealed and put them in the trunk with the rifles and ammo and drive thru DC and MD, then put 'em back on when we cross into PA.
It's legal.
Old October 9, 2012, 04:38 PM   #30
Water-Man

My travel destinations are not limited because of RKBA fortunately.
Old October 9, 2012, 05:04 PM   #31
Tinner666

To be honest, when one of those resort people call me, I tell them I won't come because of the Anti-gun and non CCW reciprocal policies. I'm hoping more people will tell this to travel agents so they'll realized it's hurting their pocketbooks and keeping ours fatter.
IMHO, I doubt it would hurt our cause to have another group on board. If they're not interested, I'm not that interested in traveling.
Old October 9, 2012, 05:17 PM   #32
Rifleman1952

I only vacation in states that recognize my CCW permit. Most of those states are in the South, West and Midwest. Last vacation was in a cabin with a beautiful view overlooking the Appalachian Mountains in Tennessee. Saw much evidence of black bear activity near the cabin, so was glad to legally be able to carry during the trip.
Old October 9, 2012, 05:22 PM   #33
Gaerek

Luckily, there are several bills in congress right now that, if passed, would require any state that issues concealed carry permits (so, right now, all states except Illinois and Washington D.C.) to recognize a permit issued by any other state. Of course, you would have to follow the laws of the state you were travelling to (better have those reduced capacity mags if you go to California), but at least it would allow permit holders to protect themselves and their families if they travel (and not have to look at handgunlaw.us to decide where to travel). Basically, it'd work the same way as drivers licenses.

I don't want to turn this too political, but one of the bills was introduced into the Senate by two Democrats (only mentioning this because Dems traditionally are anti-anything like this). One is from Alaska, the other from West VA. Hopefully, sometime soon, we can get LEOSA for the masses.
Old October 9, 2012, 06:42 PM   #34
Webleymkv

Most of my family lives in IL so, while I don't like not being able to carry, it's not worth refusing to visit my family over. As far as other non-CCW states, the only other one I occasionally go to is OH (OH does not recognize my IN license) but that is only infrequently.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:21 PM   #35
chris in va

I go to NYC all the time. Carrying a gun isn't the only thing in life.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:29 PM   #36
Tinner666

For me, it's the principle of the thing.... Criminals don't seem to be under the same microscope as law-abiding citizens.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:45 PM   #37
Pilot

I prefer not to, but I do. I'd never move to one, but I do visit on occassion.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:35 PM   #38
BGutzman

No Kalfornia, no Chicago, no New Jersey.. For business ok, for pleasure these are not even a consideration.... Don’t take this to mean that I don’t appreciate that there are good people in the totalitarian places who are actively fighting for their rights.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:43 PM   #39
PeterGreg

Every time I travel to NY to see the grandkids I feel lost because I can't carry. 10 hours of freeway driving is just what I figured a CCW would be useful for. I'll disarm for family but not for a vacation

Last edited by PeterGreg; October 9, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:49 PM   #40
Crankgrinder

Lived in Texas my whole life, dont feel welcome anyplace else so no.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:58 PM   #41
raftman

"Anti-2A" state isn't necessarily the same thing as a state one might not be able to carry a firearm in. For example, Texas isn't an Anti-2A state, but they don't recognize my Oregon CHL, so I can't concealed-carry there all the same.

That said, it doesn't have much bearing at all if I am to decide to go there. I've probably been to most Anti-2A states. As has been mentioned, many foreign countries are even more restrictive about firearms than the most anti-gun states, but I've been to quite a few of those and plan to go to at least a few more.
Old October 9, 2012, 10:59 PM   #42
egor20

We go to NYC once or twice a year for the Broadway shows. My wife's English so we pop over the pond every other year. So we really don't worry about it much. Heck we even go to the Kennedy Center, the National Zoo and the Smithsonian in Washington D.C. every once and a while.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old October 9, 2012, 11:10 PM   #43
Hiker 1

Flying into a gun-friendly state with a checked firearm is quite easy if you follow the rules. I do it a few times a year.

Sometimes work or vacation take me to a place where I can't carry. It certainly doesn't stop me from going. I enjoy life regardless.

Yes, IT could happen while I'm unarmed. If IT does, I'll deal with IT with whatever tools I have at hand.
Old October 10, 2012, 02:01 AM   #44
MLeake

To visit family (NJ, MA), or to accommodate family members for things they need to do or have always wanted to do, I will.

Otherwise, I do not voluntarily to travel to states that do not recognize my permit (or allow constitutional carry, either/or). It's the principle of the thing.

I also take pains to drive around, rather than through, Illinois.
Old October 10, 2012, 03:12 AM   #45
youngunz4life

answer to Original Post

Quote:
Would You Travel For Pleasure to an Anti-2A State?
Yes, I would without hesitation. No United State or Lands/Waters(non-state US territories) stir up any hesitation with their unigue state gun laws. I like to travel too much.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:56 AM   #46
CajunBass

Naw. I don't leave the Commonwealth of Virginia,if I can help it, but I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to carry a gun if I did. I managed to survive going to Marylandj/DC, and Illinois a couple of times. I suppose I could again if I wanted/had to. Shoot, I even went to New York City a couple of times. Couldn't leave fast enough, but I went.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 10, 2012, 08:51 AM   #47
RedBowTies88

Quote:
What state has a statewide transportation or possession ban?
NJ does.

If you don't have an FID (available only to NJ residents after a considerable fee and anywhere from 30-180 days wait) You cannot transport a long arm anywhere but DIRECTLY (not even stopping for food) to or from a licensed range. you cannot carry a handgun with you to anywhere period.

If you do have you FID you can legally travel with a cased and unloaded long gun in the vehicle throughout the state. However you can still only transport handguns DIRECTLY to or from a range or FFL (I.E> you can't take your new 1911 cased and unloaded in your trunk over to your buddies house top see him. (Its a felony)

Last edited by RedBowTies88; October 10, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old October 10, 2012, 10:40 AM   #48
sigcurious

Good to know. Is NJ one of those places that forces people(non-residents) lawfully transporting firearms through the state to sort it out in court rather than just follow federal law on transportation?
Old October 10, 2012, 10:56 AM   #49
RedBowTies88

Yes. They it to their own people all the time. Just becuase the police are poorly educated on whats actually legal and what is not. Not to mention the law is about as clear milk. For instance, You can have a six position stock on your AR. Its perfectly legal pinned in the shortest configuration...and perfectly legal pinned in the longest position...but if you can move it from one to another its illegal. if its legally pinned in x position but the gun also happens to have a bayo lug its illegal.

and these aren't minor infractions..its 10 years in prision if you get it wrong.
Old October 10, 2012, 11:22 AM   #50
jsiberians

Well redbow just think, we in NYS can not go anywhere if we want to go armed. Nobody recips with us either.
Unarmed,unhappy traveler.