The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 5, 2010, 10:19 AM   #1
Abel

Pine Scented Bore Butter

I bought the green-tubed bore butter, which T/C claims is pine scented.....well, its not. But I sure do like green better than yeller. I also bought 100 Hornady .490 round balls based on yall's suggestion. The next step of course is some range time. I'll keep yall posted & take pics.
Old July 5, 2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Pahoo

Quote:
T/C claims is pine scented.....well, its not.
Have to agree as it is a strectch to say it smells like pine. It's meant to be used in a hunting situation as the scent is more pleasant than the regular, in the yellow tube. It does smell better to me but don't know what the deer think of that. Enjoy you range-time. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 5, 2010, 10:37 AM   #3
starbuck125

never paid much attention to the smell of the bore butter, i was too busy smelling that sweet smell of burnt powder....
Old July 5, 2010, 11:08 AM   #4
bedbugbilly

I never really paid much attention to "scents" when I deer hunted either (which has been years). Usually my snoring from when I fell asleep leaning up against a tree in the cold was enough to scare 'em away! Come to think of it, I took some of my best naps while I was deer hunting . . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 5, 2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Wilkenstein

It doesn't smell like pines, but I really like it anyway.
Old July 5, 2010, 11:20 PM   #6
robhof

robhof

Hunted with a friend in Louisiana several years ago that usually fell asleep at his stand. He got out of his tree stand, afraid he'd fall and leaned against a tree. He was awakened by a doe pawing at him, his story, we had to believe it though, the deer had powder burns on the bottom of it's neck and a large oval hole on top. He didn't take showere during deer season and wore the same clothes over and over, but apparently it didn't faze the deer.
Old July 6, 2010, 12:54 AM   #7
azyogi

Thanks for the heads up on the smell, after more than 20 years of working at sewer plants [PC speak Water Polution Control Facility] my nose no longer detects certain scents. Don't miss those from work, can still smell roses and gunsmoke, what else do I need to smell.
Old July 6, 2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

Maybe things have changed but....

....I bought some Bore Butter a while back and it was so runny when the weather got hot, that it would not stay put. I finally wen back to my old standby.

Has the consistency of Bore Butter changed recently?
Old July 6, 2010, 12:30 PM   #9
Pahoo

Quote:
Has the consistency of Bore Butter changed recently?
Hi Doc,
Probably not as this stuff has been doing this for me, for as long as I can remember. I make sure not to let the sun get to it and sometimes, put my loading box, on the ground. Just like butter, the oils start to come to the top. Back when I made my own, I use to keep it in my garage refrigerator.

While you are here, might give us your "old standby" recipe or what you are currently using.

Be Safe !!!
Old July 6, 2010, 03:36 PM   #10
Doc Hoy

Pahoo

About half and half Crisco and wax rings from toilets. I try to use only new wax rings as the smell of the used ones can be a bit much.

I am aware that wax rings are no longer made from natural wax, but I don't find that the manmade stuff causes overmuch problems.

I use that to coat my bullets as well. In a previous conversation, I learned that many shooters do not lubricate the bullets/roundballs. That was a learning experience. I thought that everyone lubed every kind of bullet. I find that they start into the chamber far more easily if they are lubricated.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; July 7, 2010 at 04:50 AM.