The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 26, 2008, 11:11 AM   #1
Citizen Carrier

Camp Perry pictures

A few pictures I took during "pistol week" at Camp Perry this year.

A short while before the SAFS EIC match.

The SAFS practice range time uncovered a glaring omission in my equipment. A screen to deflect brass. The M9s have a habit of ejecting the brass right onto the worst possible places of the guy to your right. I got hit in the head, arm, shooting hand. Even had brass bouncing off my pistol.

Determined that I wasn't going to have that happen to me during the EIC match, I drove to the Lowe's in Fremont. Bought some screen, a flat steel piece for a frame, some tin snips and some machine screws. I then went to a picnic table and bent the frame into shape by placing it between the boards of the table top. Pounded the corners flatter lifting the picnic table up and slamming it down. Bolted on the screen. You can get the spring-loaded clamps at Lowe's too.

Yes, it is just a tad bit over-engineered.

Lake Perry. It rained something awful the day of the Distinguished Revolver and Harry Reeves Revolver matches. I was soaked to the bone. Lesson learned: Bring wet weather gear for yourself and a trash bag for your shooting box. Also, bring something to keep your score cards dry.

But I didn't let it get me down too much. A Romeo y Julieta 1875 shortly before my time to shoot. There isn't a very good cigar selection in the Port Clinton area, so plan ahead. Also, bring rubber boots. For two days after the rain I spent the whole day in wet socks. I was sure I was going to be the first case of trench foot at the National Matches.

A few guns I had to borrow for the matches. A Smith and Wesson M14-3 and a Rock River Arms bullseye wadcutter gun with Ultradot. I was using NSKsales.com .38 "Distinguished Revolver Loads" for the revolver matches, but did not get good results. They are apparently loaded too light, resulting in bullets impacting way too high on the target. I ran out of downward correction movement on my rear sight and had to guess about where to aim on the target. The loads were accurate, but I couldn't adjust to them.

Need a taller front sight or a hotter load for flatter trajectories.

The RRA after I outfitted it with Rinks grips I bought from Larry's Guns. Compared to standard GI-style flat grip panels, these are certainly the way to go. Much more stable for me.
Old July 26, 2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Casimer

Thanks for the pics.

Quote:
I was using NSKsales.com .38 "Distinguished Revolver Loads" ... They are apparently loaded too light, ...The loads were accurate, but I couldn't adjust to them.
Neil's DR loads are the lightest 'factory' 158gr SWC I've come across. The Blackhills are a lot sharper. Surprisingly the MagTechs are a good option to try - faster than NSK and decently accurate from my Colt OMS and Model 14.