The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 15, 2010, 01:26 PM   #1
dkulka

cross hair wire

Hello guys
I have an old Unertl 10x scope sitting on a custom Saturn 220 swift that was my fathers. Problem is the vertical cross hair is broken. I am having zero luck finding anyplace or person willing to sell me a foot or two or any length for that matter. I understand it should be .0005" or thinner diameter.
I have removed the broken hair. It does take a very very small screwdriver and pointed tweezers. It can be done. Parsons wants $100 plus shipping. I just can't justify that money for winding a wire around a screw. It may take 2feet worth to get it right but I thnk I can do it. (you don't actually wind it around) more like lay it beside the screw.
Anybody know where I can get some to try?

I tried my cat's hair at .00025 but it breaks way to easy. The cat is one of those Persian type cats with long thin hair.
Old February 15, 2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Idahogunsmith

Just a thought

You might music wire,sold at piano stores less then 20 bucks take your mic or down load a chart online. Good luck..

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
Ronald Reagan "
Old February 15, 2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Slopemeno

McMaster Carr. Measure the wire to be certain of the size.
Old February 16, 2010, 08:11 AM   #4
dkulka

Piano wire goes down to .001 per the chart. About twice as thick as I need. McMaster Carr-could only find wire down to .004 thick.
I found a magnet supply outfit that is sending me a sample of #54 wire which is .00063. A little to thick but I'll try it. It's copper with insullation. I'll have to strip the insulation with something.
Old February 16, 2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Slopemeno

Try Small Parts Inc.
Old February 16, 2010, 10:39 AM   #6
jaguarxk120

Have you considered the windings from a set of walkman type earphones? That should be really fine wire. The smallest I have is .003 (0.089mm) tungsten wire.

Just came to mind, the nylon filament from pantyhose should be very small in diameter.
Old February 16, 2010, 12:11 PM   #7
birdshot

spider web

seems like i was told they used black widow web, before the age of synthethics.
Old February 16, 2010, 05:27 PM   #8
KySilverado

I'm in the same boat. Needing to replace the reticle in a Unertl.

Found this source for wire while researching. Don't know if it would work.

http://www.omega.com/pptst/SPIR.html
Old February 16, 2010, 06:10 PM   #9
hickstick_10

+1 on spider web silk
Old February 16, 2010, 06:25 PM   #10
dkulka

I'd be happy to share the sample wire if it works out ky. The link you provided will not be fine enough I'm afraid at least for my 10x. like I said I tried my cat hair and looking through the eye piece(although broken) it was the right thickness at .0005 or less. .001" will be too thick for my liking.

I wouldn't what to do with spider silk! You?
Old February 16, 2010, 10:50 PM   #11
KySilverado

I was a decimal point off on the wire.

I'm not trying to milk a spider. I've found a guy local that does the repair so I'll go that route.

Also found this while doing some searching on another forum.

" I sell annealed black tungsten retical wire in two diameters...0005" fine, and 0015", medium...

10 foot lengths, minimum...

$15.00 shipped...via a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope you send me, along w/payment....

US sales only, US Postal MO's only, please...

email me at:

[email protected]"

Last edited by KySilverado; February 16, 2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old February 17, 2010, 09:29 AM   #12
dkulka

I aso found that forum post. That guy never replied to me. I emailed a couple times and sent a PM.
Old February 17, 2010, 10:37 AM   #13
KEN K

I replaced the wires in a scope many years ago I started cutting into old electric cords and finally got to a piece of welding lead, (hundreds of fine wires) and used that copper wire. Used that scope for years after that with no problems till the rifle was stolen.
Old February 18, 2010, 09:11 AM   #14
KySilverado

From my post above. Looks like the guy is selling it on eBay right now. I just bought 10 ft. .0005 tungsten.
Old February 18, 2010, 05:06 PM   #15
chibiker

Just a thought... I needed something pretty much the equivlant of spider silk for a photo project. I ended up taking a plastic/nylon comb and hitting it with a heat gun until the melting point and pulled on it as if you were stretching it out... hope that makes sense. I ended up with "threads" to the point of being so thin they became almost invisible. Like I said, just a thought.
Old February 19, 2010, 02:59 AM   #16
UpandAtIt

American Scientific has tungsten light bulb wire stock down to .002 and is super strong stuff. Sad thing is you have to hunt and search for things at the American Scientific web site as they have no real organization of products and changes daily. The web site is http://www.sciplus.com/

I used the tungsten wire to repair a 1920's savage scope and has worked out perfect.

I would suggest you call them and ask the cust service lady that answers, they seem to know what is there by heart.

There are also many other items in that place that would be gun smith or gun project friendly.

http://www.sciplus.com/
Old February 19, 2010, 08:20 AM   #17
jaguarxk120

Another one to try is the surplusshed.com there specialty is optics.
Old February 19, 2010, 12:33 PM   #18
dkulka

hey KtSilverado did you receive it yet? Let me know what you think. I'm expecting the copper anyday now. I don't expect good results from copper. Then I'll do the ebay tungston

Thanks all for the suggestions.
Old February 19, 2010, 06:49 PM   #19
KySilverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkulka
hey KtSilverado did you receive it yet? Let me know what you think. I'm expecting the copper anyday now. I don't expect good results from copper. Then I'll do the ebay tungston
No I haven't received it yet. I expect it tomorrow or Monday. He was really quick getting it out. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old February 20, 2010, 10:32 PM   #20
KySilverado

Got the wire in today. After about 4 hours of hell I finally got it re strung. It turned out perfect. Identical to original I would say.

Come on warm weather.

Old February 22, 2010, 02:27 PM   #21
dkulka

Received my .0006 copper wire Friday. 3 hours of hell then I put in my order for tungsten. Copper is way to soft. Tighten the screw down and it pinches off the wire. BTW I broke the good hair while messing with the other one.
Good to hear it works well.
Nice looking rifle.
Old March 4, 2010, 12:09 PM   #22
dkulka

Copper wire doesn't work. it's too soft.
Received my .0005 tungsten last week or so.
Going blind trying to get it installed.
KYSilverado--did you have any secrets your willing to share. 4 hours of hell you had to learn something.
I borrowed more magnification today. Maybe that will help. Boy is this stuff small.
Correction. My first post said the rifle was my fathers. As I re read that post it sounded awful so I must make a correction. The rifle is still my fathers. I borrowed it for a little target shooting. My dad is here and doing just great at nearing 80 years old. Thanks

Last edited by dkulka; March 5, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old March 7, 2010, 08:24 AM   #23
Homer03

I just made my first attempt at replacing reticle wire. Pretty sad but not so bad that I will not try again. Im just messing around with some old 4x Weavers and even with those the finest wire i can find (From the voice coil of a small speaker) looks about twice as fat as it should. Also i ended up with rather cold joints due to trying to use an iron without enough watts to heat the frame properly. I knew it wasnt going to look right but reassembled the scope--I had a good laugh when i looked through it. I think ill get so better wire and try it with the brass frame preheated.
Old March 7, 2010, 09:01 AM   #24
KySilverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKulka
KYSilverado--did you have any secrets your willing to share. 4 hours of hell you had to learn something.
I was putting it mildly. Believe it or not I did it with little to no magnification. I did have a small magnifying glass with a light. No tweezers. Just scotch tape, black construction paper and the screwdriver.

I gave up trying to work off the spool with the single strand. I all the wire on the spool one time leaving several threads dangling off the spool. Put them on the paper and under bright light. I could see them fairly well then. Find the end of one and get scotch tape on it. Pull it over and tape it to the reticle tube under a screw. Stretch it gently across to the two screws with the thumb of your free hand. Screwdriver in the other. Screw in one screw. Keep a enough pressure to keep it tight and tighten the other. Cut the ends.
Old March 8, 2010, 03:22 PM   #25
dkulka

Got it.
I used mucho magnification, lots of bright light, pointed tweezers & and very small screw driver. With all the above I did it in less than 1/2 hr.
Glad that's done.