The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 3, 2010, 04:56 PM   #1
John L. Smith

Ward's Western Field Shotgun

I was given a old Ward's Western Field 12 ga pump shotgun. It is made off of the Browing patend with the safety located in front of the trigger and an engraveing of a pointer on the side. From what I have been able to find out it must be a Stevens Model 520. The only numbers I can find on it are 91923. Is this the serial number or the date it was built. The numbers are not in a straight line and have spaces between them.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old March 3, 2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Slopemeno

I'm a fan of 520's. Post a pic.
Old March 3, 2010, 10:32 PM   #3
Lee Lapin

Most likely that's the serial number. If it has a 'suicide safety' then it's an old one. They changed it later to a crossbolt safety behind the trigger, then on the 520-30 changed it again to a top tang safety. On the oldest 520s the action release is a button on the left side of the receiver above the trigger, then they moved it to the more usual place on the left of the back of the trigger guard.

The patent was filed for in 1903, Stevens built the first 520s in 1904. The streamlined receiver 620 (mechanically the same gun) was introduced in 1927, and the 520 was discontinued in 1932.

I like the old guns a lot, you should be aware (if you aren't already) that this design, like several of the older pumpgun designs, lacks a disconnector. That means as long as there's ammo in the magazine that the gun will fire every time it's pumped while the trigger is held back. Trigger finger discipline is important with these...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old March 8, 2010, 04:16 AM   #4
Hawg

Here's two 520's an early and a late.

Old March 9, 2010, 03:22 AM   #5
Joe-R

Ward Western

My Dad left me a ward western 12 GA. it had a long barrel that was cut down. I would like to find a long barrel for it.
Any help would be kewl.