The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2010, 01:56 PM   #1
ralphc21

Nickel casing reloading

With standard dies can you load nickel caseing.
Old February 6, 2010, 02:09 PM   #2
snuffy

Yes! There's nothing different externally or internally with nickel plated brass.

Now there will be some that will say "they'll scratch you dies" or " the plating will flake off". Just treat it like normal all-brass cases, you'll be fine.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 6, 2010, 02:11 PM   #3
grumpa72

Yes you can. I have done 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 acp nickel.
Old February 6, 2010, 02:28 PM   #4
chiefr

I have reloaded nickel cases in various pistol calibers for years. After three or more trips thru the sizer the nickel starts to come off and eventually you will have a brass colored case. These cases are still good. I have some 38 & 357 cases that have been reloaded at least 15 times that have a nickel case heads only and the brass is still good. It is my experience carbide dies speeds up the process.
I find different problems with nickel plated rifle cases. Personally, I do not prefer them at all for bottleneck rifle cases. The nickel tends to flake off around the neck after trimming and appears to bind and scratch more nickel off the case. Have this problem with 308 when I fl resize.
Hope this helps.
Old February 6, 2010, 04:40 PM   #5
Bigtony

I've just reloaded 400 rds of once fired 357 nickel cases (350 Win and 50 R-P). The only problem I had was with the R-P. After expanding I had 5 or 6 cases split. Never had that happen before. Probably a bad run of brass. All the Wins looked fine. Just pay attention.
Old February 6, 2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Sevens

Not a bad run of brass... a typical run of brass.
The brass has to be a little bit thinner to allow for the thickness of the nickel plating while still having the same overall thickness. The nickel plating wears and flakes off and the thinner brass that remains doesn't last as long before a split.

I like nickel plated brass, and I never turn away a piece of brass when I'm picking it up or trading it with other reloaders. But if I were to spend my money on new (or even used) brass, I would choose non-nickel brass because it simply lasts longer.

I still like nickel brass, though. It's slicker, more enjoyable to handle and cleans up quicker and easier.

Tags
reloading nickel caseing