The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 11, 2005, 07:44 AM   #1
howie1947

Need advice limited or open pistol

Trying to decided which one. I have a single stack, I will use in the new class in 2006. Was going to buy a limited class pistol but since I cant see anymore worth a damn should I move to open where optics can be used. Also does the open pistol need fine tuning all the time.

Thanks
Old June 11, 2005, 08:10 AM   #2
bulm5

If it is built right, NO.
Old June 11, 2005, 09:21 AM   #3
HSMITH

Try a limited gun with a fiber optic front sight, a lot like a dot without the hassle of finding the dot, for me anyway not shooting an open gun much finding the darn dot on the draw is a PITA. For me, after I aquire the dot, a limited gun is faster up close, like out to about 10 yards, about the same out to about 15 yards, and slightly slower at 20+ yards. The only real advantage for me with a dot is accuracy at longer ranges, you can really punch A's at long distances with a dot.

As said, a gun built right will go a LONG time between tune-ups.

Another big factor for me is cost, an open gun in 38 super has much higher brass costs compared to once fired 40 in limited. Bullet costs are close as are powder costs. I can shoot more for the same cost with a 40 or a 45 than I can with a Super. 9mm major negates this completely but I don't have any experience loading it. The open gun will also cost 1/3rd or so more than an equal quality limited gun from the research I have done.

I really like L10 and Limited, my bias might be skewing my opinions but for me they are accurate.
Old June 11, 2005, 09:37 AM   #4
Jim Watson

I am out of touch, do the Open guys sit around between stages stretching the springs of their "Big Sticks" like I remember?

What is the problem with your vision?
I am nearsighted, gone presbyoptic with age and normally wearing progressive bifocals. I have shooting glasses with the right lens ground to focus on the (fibre optic) front sight and the left lens at my normal distance prescription.
Dedicated shooting glasses like that are rather expensive, but not as much as a new gun.
Old June 11, 2005, 02:04 PM   #5
howie1947

Thanks for the replies

Jim the sights are just not clear, blurred I guess eyes just getting weak from age. I considered glasses. I have painted the sights which help. Still looking at all options is why I posted the question. My right eye is weaker than the left one so you might know my left eye now is the dominate one and I am right handed sort of like starting all over.
Old June 11, 2005, 02:52 PM   #6
Number 6

I have both Limited and Open Division guns

and the same failing eyesight problem. I find the dot harder to find initially than a front sight, especially a fiber optic sight; however, the dot is easier to see once found and it is better at long range. Both are a blast to shoot -literally, in the case of the race gun. It is DEAFENING!

Try a different analysis: Cost.

As noted, the optics, barrel porting and comp add a LOT to the intilal cost of the gun, especially a C-More, mount and blast shield.

If you're not going to reload, FORGET Open. You cannot buy what an Open gun needs, even if you find a place that actually stocks .38 Super. Standard ammo won't even cycle my slide.

As noted above, .40 is much cheaper for brass and you can shoot lead or plated bullets. Neither is good for ported barrels or compensators. This drops the cost some more.

See if you can borrow an Open gun and try it. At least you'll have a frame of reference.
Old July 12, 2005, 11:50 AM   #7
arover2

Howie, a very good set of auto pistol sights are the TRUGLO TRITIUM - FIBER OPTIC BRITE SITES.
I use them on my Glock model 22 in competing, and dark range shooting.
You have the best in outdoor open daylight shooting, and any dim or dark shooting situations.
These sights give you the best of both worlds with a combination of fiber optic and tritium together.
When I had them installed, they shot point of aim, just as my Glock factory sights did.
These sights are not too well known by shooters, but all the magazine gun test articles I have read about them are good.
Old July 28, 2005, 09:29 AM   #8
joshua

I shoot both class and I have started to embrace limited class, but I still shoot open class from time to time. In fact when I get used to shooting limited it is so much easier for me to shoot open class. With the new commander length slide and short comps style open guns, they can be as fast as a limited gun up close. An open class gun built with late 80s to mid 90s technology is slower than a 5" limited gun with close in targets, not so with the new shorty open guns. The blast on a shorty open gun isn't as bad as the 9x25 or 38 supers firing 115 grn bullets durign the 175 power factor era. We are down to 165 power factor now and if you get all the info a 9mm major is a good option. Ask around the club and I'm sure those USPSA guys are more than willing to let you try their race guns, either limited or open. Decide then what is good for you. josh
Old July 30, 2005, 12:06 AM   #9
bulm5

Stretching the springs intheir big sticks...hmmmm maybe cleaning their mags. Even Dave S. would tear down his mags when it hits the ground.
Old July 30, 2005, 07:03 AM   #10
joshua

Back in the days when the caliber of choice was 38 super many shooters had trouble with standard spring in high cap mags due to the extra friction the 38 super's rim creates. Most people used +10 Wolffe springs and wouldn't have problems until they loose that extra tension in their mag springs, hence the streching practice commonly seen with participants using high capacity mags. I did it with my Caspian hi-cap mags, but switching to supercomp I haven't had any trouble even with my 27 rounders. josh