The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: What do you think about Taurus?
Like, through experience? 65 41.40%
Dislike, through experience? 64 40.76%
Like, from info from the outside? 3 1.91%
Dislike, from info from the outside? 11 7.01%
Like, from what you read on the Internet? 2 1.27%
Dislike, from what you read on the Internet? 17 10.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 29, 2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Redhawk5.5+P+

Do you bash Taurus? And for why?

Be honest!

I think a small explanation is appropriate.

Last edited by Redhawk5.5+P+; September 29, 2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old September 29, 2012, 01:24 PM   #2
Mark In Texas

I think we have had a number of threads related to this topic. I have one Taurus - a TCP in .380. Out of the box it was a disaster. Wouldn't cycle, failure to feed, failure to extract, etc. Sent it back. Three weeks later I got a new one that performs just great.

So, I don't really bash them. Initial quality could be improved but warranty and customer service were great.
Old September 29, 2012, 01:29 PM   #3
m.p.driver

Bought a Taurus 450 and had nothing but trouble.Would lock up after 3 rounds,factory fix was to mill some off of the cylinder.After that cylinder play was so bad it shaved lead.Lost confidence in the revolver and Taurus.
Old September 29, 2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Boatme98

I don't bash them, but I can read. There are enough bad reports across all gun forums to warrant my never buying one.
I don't care how many rounds someone may have flawlessly put through theirs, I don't want one.

With the advent of the internet, it's simple to research anything, and I research all my gun purchases exhaustivley.
Old September 29, 2012, 02:06 PM   #5
royal barnes

I have seen more Taurus handguns come back for defects at the gunstore where I work than all other brands combined. Enough said.
Old September 29, 2012, 02:09 PM   #6
Newton24b

its a 50/50 proposition really when it comes to bashing taurus and any other company in truth.

half the people who buy a gun, and find that it has some issues will admit "yeah it happens" and simply get it fixed and go about their business.

half will say "#@*&, the finish aint perfect," and go on a rampage on forums.

the price point is also an issue.

most complaints ive seen on the sw forum, about sw products, are always handled like "yeah, ya shoulda known your not supposed to use X loads or youll shoot it loose in 3 shots", but when the same applies to a taurus its a horrid catastrophy.

its kinda like bycotting a toilet paper company because it bled through, but only cost .000000001 cent per sheet.
Old September 29, 2012, 02:16 PM   #7
winkytink

I have two Taurus and a Rossi

PT101P and a PT809, both decent guns but definitely not top of the line. The Rossi (now owned by Taurus) is a Rio Grande lever gun in 45-70. Heck of a lot of fun to shoot but needed some work out of the box (nothing a little loctite and a screw driver wouldn't handle).
Old September 29, 2012, 02:28 PM   #8
C Philip

I don't bash them, but have had experience with two Taurus guns, both revolvers, and both had issues. The first was a .22 that locked up inexplicably, and continued to do so even after being back to the factory for repairs. The second was a .454 Casull that spit copper back at the shooter due to a timing issue.
Old September 29, 2012, 02:46 PM   #9
dahermit

My one-and-only Taurus M85 snub, S.S. has been perfect. It had a much better double-action trigger pull than my Smith & Wesson's.
One of the problems with taking reports of malfunctioning Tauruses from the INTERNET at face value, is that many such reports do not specify what the problem was or how serious it was. Generally, if I have a problem with a gun, I fix it myself and do not post about it. If there are many such as I, it skews the data.
Old September 29, 2012, 03:02 PM   #10
Microgunner

We sell them.
Taurus is our best selling brand and we receive very few complaints.
Old September 29, 2012, 03:09 PM   #11
Skadoosh

Quote:
royal barnes wrote: I have seen more Taurus handguns come back for defects at the gunstore where I work than all other brands combined. Enough said.
Quote:
microgunner wrote:
We sell them.
Taurus is our best selling brand and we receive very few complaints.
Interesting. Conflicting reports from gun store employees.

Begs the questions from each member: what percentage of Taurus guns that are sold in your store have been returned?
Old September 29, 2012, 03:33 PM   #12
Technosavant

Depends on your definition of bash.

If telling the truth- that my own experience was less than positive and their customer service was so poor that the company had to put out a video stating to the effect of "We know it's been bad, we'll get better, we promise" is bashing, then so be it.

To those who have had a good Taurus experience any negative review of their products or company is considered bashing. To those who had those negative experiences, it's telling the truth. If telling the truth is considered bashing, well, that ought to tell you something about the company.

I hope that they do indeed get their act together but it will take some doing before I'll ever consider buying one of their products again.
Old September 29, 2012, 03:41 PM   #13
PoiDog

I used to own a Taurus revolver, the model 608 in .357 Magnum. It worked flawlessly, and you have to like the extra rounds in the cylinder.

I did not like the porting holes on each side of the front sight, but that's just personal preference. It is a very large heavy gun, and I sold it off to finance buying a Marlin Cowboy lever gun in .357 a number of years ago.

I would buy another Taurus revolver based on that experience, but I've never seen a Taurus semi-auto that grabbed my interest.

I've heard good things about their 1911, but haven't seen one in person.
Old September 29, 2012, 03:51 PM   #14
buck460XVR

I don't trash anyone's choice in guns, motorcycles or bird dogs. I don't trash their mom either, even tho they didn't have a choice there. Some things are sacred.
Old September 29, 2012, 03:52 PM   #15
Skans

Mine broke; crappy experience getting it "fixed'.
Old September 29, 2012, 03:54 PM   #16
zxcvbob

Quote:
Be honest!
Why the angry face?
Old September 29, 2012, 04:34 PM   #17
dragnut

Taurus QC

I ahve a TCP I carry daily that works great.http://thefiringline.com/forums/imag...lies/smile.gif
I have a .40 S&W revolver that is really nice to shoot.http://thefiringline.com/forums/imag...lies/smile.gif
My wife has a 22 cal semi she likes.http://thefiringline.com/forums/imag...lies/smile.gif

I bought a .380 revolver and when I went to load it the cylinde fell out on the floor-http://thefiringline.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif
Old September 29, 2012, 05:00 PM   #18
YARDDOG(1)

I've owned 1 auto Mdl 92, Berreta copy. Shot accurate & dependable early '90s late '80s. Also shot one 6" revolver from same era a 357 mag excellent shooting gun As far as new ones, I've got NO expereance Truth
Y/D
Old September 29, 2012, 05:35 PM   #19
testuser

I dislike them based on several articles from Gun Tests magazine, which is technically online, but also comes to me in a hard copy. Also word of mouth from my shooting buddies who have had problems.

I also prefer to purchase American made firearms from American owned companies, even if it means saving up or owning fewer guns to afford them. I'm actually having a very hard time thinking of Taurus weapon that doesn't have an equivalent or close substitue from Ruger or S&W...
Old September 29, 2012, 06:23 PM   #20
Stevie-Ray

Mine is a 50/50 experience. I have one that I love and wouldn't sell, and sold one that I thought rather crappy. Do I bash them-no. Would I ever buy them again? Probably.
Old September 29, 2012, 06:30 PM   #21
ljnowell

Reason #1 Taurus revolver. Ordered it special through a dealer locally. When it came in it would not cycle properly. IN THE GUN SHOP. Right out of the box. Would not make it all the way around without locking up. Cleaned it well, it still would not. Sent it back. Came back from taurus and would cock and fire all the way around. Unfortunately now it had a .022 cylinder gap and a tremendous amount of endshake. Spit lead like nobodys business. Sent it back to taurus again. This time it took almost three months of phone calls to get it back. They sent me a new gun. I traded it in on a used smith and wesson in the dealers case for my wife as a valentines day gift. That 686 has been flawless the whole time we owned it.

Reason #2 After waiting a sufficient amount of time I thought i would try taurus again. This time I bought a pt1911, stainless. Out of the box I thought I got the best deal ever on a 1911. I shot about 200 rounds, it was flawless, accurate, great trigger, really liked it. Im a reloader so I keep track of rounds through guns, especially when new. Right around 200-250 the ambi safety fell apart. The right side fell off when firing. I figured, what the heck, just buy one and put it on, no big deal, so I did. Then at about 500 rounds, the slide lock BROKE. Complete snap. I still went ahead and bought one, since I new all about taurs customer service from my previous experience. I put it up in the safe and forgot about it for awhile. About six months later I figured I would use it in an IDPA match. Halfway though it started having FTE. I put it up and grabbed my uncles back-up gun, an old Colt. When I got home I found that the extractor had broken. Again, like the slide lock, it just snapped. I bought an extractor, fitted it, and sold the gun.

After these two experiences I will not buy a single Taurus product. Nothing. I will also advocate against it to anyone that wants my opinion.

I usually dont share this online, because everytime you talk bad about Taurus the "fanboys" (I mean NO DISRESPECT to Taurus owners, just the arrogant type) come out of the woodword to tell you how you are stupid, lying, or just dont know what you are talking about because thier cheap gun is ten times better than the quality firearm you bought.
Old September 29, 2012, 06:38 PM   #22
aferalhamster

Ive had good luck with their revolvers. Never had any issues with them. Their millenium series has been hit or miss with the ones Ive used. Taurus did do a good job of remediating the one that didnt function properly. It now works well.
Old September 29, 2012, 06:42 PM   #23
ripnbst

I do foaming at the mouth. Their firearms are grade A garbage. I've personally only experienced three, but all 3 were problematic and the trigger in their millennium something or other 9mm was downright terrible, and that's compared to factory Glock triggers. Not even including nice 1911 triggers because they are not to be used in the same sentence.
Old September 29, 2012, 06:59 PM   #24
royal barnes

Skadoosh,
I have not kept a count but I would guess 10% had to go back to Taurus for some problem. A few were revolvers but mostly semis. Some of those did not have the problems resolved after one or more trips back to the factory. Recently had a 1911 sent back after it locked up with the slide closed after the last round was fired. Six weeks later Taurus offered the customer a new pistol of his choice or a refund. Their only statement was the gun was not repairable. We sell a good many Taurus firearms. These problems can plague any manufacturer but Taurus has more than their share. Pricepoint is the only thing they have going for them and I steer people to other brands whenever I can.
Old September 29, 2012, 07:55 PM   #25
Apple a Day

Experience:
1)Old model 66. Second gun I ever bought. It worked well for a few thousand rounds then went off kilter. CS stank, took forever but the revolver came back okay. I still have it.
2)Model 94. Awful. Rifling was shallow, accuracy stank. It fired but was poorly made. Traded it.
3)PT-22. It worked, ran like a clock. I sold it because I really didn't have a use for a bitty .22. I wish I'd kept it.
4)1st gen PT-111. Piece of crap. Horrible trigger. The extractor bounced out while firing. CS was horrendous and after a long wait couldn't seem to send me the right piece. Twice. I gave up, put the old extractor back with the new spring and pin, cemented it with Gun Tite. Then the retaining clip for the takedown pin broke and the pin fell out while at the range. CS was still awful, sent it back to me with a new clip but without fixing the problem to keep it from happening again. I traded it.
5)Model 85. Great gun. I gave it to my (now-) ex-sister-in-law. I miss that gun.

In short, they've been hit or miss for me. Customer support was ignorant, unhelpful, and downright unprofessional. At one point I lost my patience and told the representative to take the candy out his mouth so I could understand him over the teeth-clicking and slurping noises. I'd rather spend my money on something more reliable and with better customer support.