The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 23, 2008, 09:52 AM   #51
Vergeltung

I have the 590, but I don't see the point of a bayonet for it. I don't see the use. the gun is scary looking enough for all but the most determined Zombie.
Old December 23, 2008, 01:43 PM   #52
chickenman

scorpion tyr

Ask and you shall - http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=304309
Old December 23, 2008, 10:32 PM   #53
oneounceload

putting a bayonet on a shotgun loses you the ability to maneuver easily, looks ridiculous and really serves no purpose - grab a handgun if you're that worried.....you kill someone with that setup and a lawyer will ruin your life while you go to jail....

Last edited by Dave McC; December 24, 2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: A family BB here....
Old December 24, 2008, 09:29 AM   #54
Katrina Guy

TRYING to understand this whole bayonet on shotgun thing

Most people (in here at least) purchase home defense shotguns, that is to say typically with a shorter barrel and higher mag capacity, shorter barrel for use inside one's home, and you want to add six to ten inches onto the end of your home defense shotgun? Would think that shotgun would now be bumping into walls and lamp shades and you name it, why not just get a longer firearm if length appears to be something some seem impressed with, alas, gals are correct, size matters apparently.
To each his own, it just appears to me that some just like the idea of having some kind of bad ass looking, looking perhaps more then functional, firearm.
No combat expert by any means here (me I mean) but cumbersome and additional length seem to be very unwanted assets in a combat situation...the equivelnt almost of choosing a Dirty Harry .44 mag two hander with 8" barrel instead of a semi auto pistol. Here's one, add a bayonet to an oversized handgun, yea now that would be cooooooool!
Old June 22, 2010, 09:18 AM   #55
greensteelforge

???

Not sure what the debate here is. Bayonets are a bit dated as a combat weapon, but still constitute a polearm if used properly. If you need a bayonet to defend your home, you most likely suffer from an over-active imagination. Home defense is not trench warfare, nor is it the kind of thing most of us really need to think too much about. A safe path of egress will get you allot farther than a bayonet in a gunfight. Lots of fun reading all the opinions out there (most obviously coming from guys who've never seen a live firefight). Violent fantasies are nothing but impotence. I'm well aware of what I can do, and can't fathom why any of you want to think this much about this kind of thing.