The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2013, 08:10 PM   #1
RHafleyJ

45 ACP load data question

Does anyone have a manual that has load data for .45 acp using Hornady XTP 230 and 250 gr using Hogdon Universal?
Old February 24, 2013, 12:15 AM   #2
TXGunNut

Yes, and I've spent hours reading it. When you read it you'll learn the 230gr XTP is designed for the 45ACP and the 250gr XTP is designed for the 45 Colt, totally different cartridges.
Welcome to the affliction, BTW. There's no substitute for learning the basics before toying with thousands of pounds of energy. The front section of the Hornady manual, among others, is a very good and necessary read before risking life and limb.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old February 24, 2013, 10:45 AM   #3
j357

Welcome to a great hobby.

+1 on obtaining and reading the Hornady book. You will learn all you need in the load data, after learning about bullet characteristics and intended use.
Another possible source is other loading manuals and powder manufacture websites. Google and the search feature at the top of the page are your friends for finding other reloader's experience with working up loads using your selected components. However you should always cross check data from the interweb with data published from a reputable manufacturer.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Ozzieman

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
Hogdon has very good on line loading data for ACP and Universal that’s very user friendly. And as TX gun nut said, stay away from the 250 in the ACP.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.