The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 10, 2010, 08:39 PM   #1
booker_t

Public Confrontation (Feb 2010)

Ok let me preface this post/thread with the following caveats:

1) This is self-defense related, and possibly gun-related if the victim had a gun on them.
2) It is consistent with the theme that's been going for the last few days, about tactics and mindset to avoid confrontation, things to do to deescalate a confrontation, and what/when to deploy various levels of force to protect yourself with mindfulness of the law.
3) Very clear evidence of why you shouldn't be a fool in public.
4) It's just darn funny.

Original video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKwwB...eature=related

Commentary that really cracks me up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niIQU...eature=related

The older man (Tom) is a Vietnam vet, and has some issues related to that, however, he does do one right thing, which is as the incident starts to heat up, he moved to the front of the bus. What he didn't do was shut up, and continued to instigate. When the younger man (Michael, who apparently was actually 50, even though he doesn't look it) approached him again, well, the snowball was in motion.

If the thread gets closed 3 seconds after I post it I would understand, but then again, it might make for some interesting conversation. Say the older man had a firearm concealed legally. Say the physical sizes had been reversed. On a crowded bus, you only have so many places you can go, and unless you can get the driver to stop and let you off immediately, you could be presented with a physical attack given the circumstances, although I doubt anyone on this forum (I would hope) would instigate like either of these two people did.

Well if somebody swings at you on the bus, train, plane, in a taxi, in an elevator.. where there are other people around.. or if they pull a knife.. are you going to draw and fire? Worse case scenario. Food for thought. Difficult to train for. What if it's somewhere like the post office or the bank?

OH.. and just to keep it mature, notice I used "older man" (Tom) and "younger man" (Michael). Race, color, whatever shouldn't even enter this conversation, it is irrelevant. Please use their names rather than other possible references, this is 2010, let's act that way.

Last edited by booker_t; June 10, 2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old June 10, 2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Young.Gun.612

Not sure if I have anything constructive to add. But, that fight video was awesome. And the commentary, truly hilarious.

Lesson: Don't pick fights. You could get your behind handed to you.
Old June 10, 2010, 09:52 PM   #3
armoredman

Both parties in the wrong, but the attacker was more in the wrong. The commentary one was funny, and true.
Old June 10, 2010, 10:50 PM   #4
grubbylabs

Sorry but that was funny. The Younger guy should have kept his mouth shut and out of other peoples business.

The older guy pretty much did every thing right but keep talking. It would have been better to move to the front of the buss and not say any thing.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old June 10, 2010, 11:22 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Not really firearm related.