The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old September 15, 2009, 11:55 AM   #1
J.Netto

Problem uploading

I've posted pictures on TFL before, and know how to do it, but for some reason, when I click on the attachments button, it won't open the window to allow me to upload.

I've been messing with it off and on today because I got a new camera, and was trying to do a couple of test pics, to make sure they were the right size, and looked okay. When the attachment button was working for me earlier, I could browse and select what I wanted to upload, but it wouldn't upload any of my new pictures. Now the attachment button isn't even opening the upload screen or working at all.

First I couldn't send them in emails, or upload them to TFL, now I can upload and send pictures in my emails, but still not here. ( I'm confusing myself...)

I've checked everything - I can't figure out why I can't upload pics that I've taken with my camera. I tried to upload older pictures that I already had saved on my computer, and it let me. ( When the attachment button was still working )

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong, other than the fact that I am technologically challenged !
Old September 15, 2009, 12:12 PM   #2
koolminx

ooooh You're using the sites internal hosting. They always go buggery on me so I host elsewhere...

Good luck!
Old September 15, 2009, 12:13 PM   #3
J.Netto

Alright, The Attachments button works fine, I'm silly. I still can't upload though.
Old September 15, 2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

What indication or error message do you get when you try to upload a file?
Old September 15, 2009, 02:13 PM   #5
J.Netto

Quote:
Upload Errors
Sam.JPG:
Upload of file failed.
That's what pops up after waiting about a minute and a half each time I try it.
Old September 15, 2009, 02:57 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

I tested and upload of an intermediate sized jpg file (180 KB), and it worked as designed. In the past we have had problems with a full attachment storage device, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

If it's taking over a minute, then the file size may be too large or your connection/ISP is interfering with the upload. What is the size of the file?
Old September 15, 2009, 04:08 PM   #7
J.Netto

Mal,

I think you got it, I need to figure out how to re-size, or change the size of the picture, or settings before I take any pictures. It said the file size was 2.19 MB -

Can that be right?? I guess it is. I need to get really familiar with my camera and try it again. When I would attach one of these new images to an email, it was taking just as long, but worked. Maybe my connection is timing out or something. Besides, that's why I was trying to do a test run, to make sure they weren't going to be huge.

I've been using disposables and the camera in my cell phone for years. This is my first "fancy" camera. Sorry for the trouble, Thank you though.

James
Old September 15, 2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Yep, that can definitely be right, and they can be much larger if you don't keep track of your image parameters.

There is a table of acceptable file sizes at the bottom of the file upload window. Max for a jpg is 244K.

Your existing pictures are probably still usable if you downsize them a bit (a lot in your case). One easy-to-use program to do that is IrfanView. I use it all the time to resize either the image size or the file size. It works great for both functions, and many more.
Old September 15, 2009, 06:43 PM   #9
J.Netto

I went to the link in your post and downloaded it. I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

James
Old September 15, 2009, 08:06 PM   #10
tyme
Staff

I strongly recommend using http://imageshack.us or http://photobucket.com

The storage limits are a lot higher; you can manage all your online images in one place and link to them from anywhere without stressing one particular forum/site/server.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old September 16, 2009, 05:52 AM   #11
J.Netto

Thanks
Old September 17, 2009, 09:09 PM   #12
J.Netto

Finally starting to get it figured out. Thanks again everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0029.jpg (54.9 KB, 62 views)