The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 16, 2006, 08:20 AM   #1
hsim

COF design

Just wanted to throw this out there.

I have a problem (yes I know, don't we all ) that I am hoping I can get some input on.

I am the RO / COF designer for our local IDPA group (about two years now). We shoot indoors in a large barn type building. However, in doing so you are limited to what I would call 2 dimensional COF's. You can only move the targets so far up range (about 6 - 8 ft) before they become a potential concern. I have built swinging targets, flip out target and one of the other guys, a moving target out of a garage door opener (very cool). Unfortunately, I still struggle with coming up with new COF which are realistic and entertaining (after all this is a game ).

Since it's not really a match (just bragging rights ), everything is very neutral i.e. always 6 shoots (12 shots total), every body reloads at least once. This starts to get boring after a while, and really, how often would you always encounter 6 BG and have to shoot them twice each? The issue is when I go to any number other then 6 shoots I get compliant from someone. "A revolver only holds 6 you know", "I can only get 8+1 in my 1911" etc....I know it's a lot of boo hooing, but being the nice guy that I am , I try to please every one.

Has any other RO come across this? and how did you deal with it? other then quit and let someone else take over...
Old June 16, 2006, 05:37 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I have been writing CoFs, MD, and SO at the local IDPA club since day one, and I am going to my tenth Nationals this year. It does get old and you are more limited in layout than I am; I have an outdoor range but not much angle to work with.

I don't have THE answer, except to go to other shoots and steal their CoFs.

As to round count neutrality, to the devil with them. If you want to shoot a 7 shot stage and the revolvers have to reload but the autos don't, or a ten shot stage the .45s have to reload but the 9s don't, so what? The gun divisions are not supposed to be competing with each other. They probably need reloading practice anyhow. And throw in some different shots per target, cut way down on the double tapping. I am setting up for tomorrow and I don't think there will be a double tap target Scenario although there will be in the Standards, of course. Have them really hose one target for six shots - threat on crystal meth - and then move on to other targets with one, two, or three hits scored. Run some with only one hit per target. That will let you grade some FTNs, I bet.

Challenge them. If they don't like it, let them set up the shoots.
Old June 16, 2006, 07:54 PM   #3
frankt

I shoot at an indoor range one night a week. They turn over a seperate range area to us but of course we can only shoot down range also.

We shoot IDPA rules and the round count is always varied from 8 to the IDPA limit of 18. Targets vary from four to eight with non threats thrown in to add to the challenge.

It is amazing the COFs we come up with every week. We use plastic barrels and wood barricades,we hang black plastic to form corridors. We kneel, go prone, shoot while advancing,retreating and moving sideways.

We have COFs where you start seated at a table with your firearm in a briefcase at your side. There is no limit of what you can do but of course you must really stress muzzle control due to the down range only shooting.

A few weeks ago to simulate a hostage situation, we made a wall of black plastic. We started out handcuffed,lying on a cot with a pillow case on our heads. Handgun was loaded and on a table in a box with extra ammo. At the buzzer we had to jerk off the pillow case,get up retrieve handgun and ammo and engage six different targets on either side of two non threats.

Only safety and your imagination will limit you.

Good luck!
Old June 17, 2006, 12:28 AM   #4
Lycanthrope

Mix it up with some tough hard cover shots and weak hand shooting on movers half covered with no shoots....... That will make them hate you and they won't complain so much about round counts..........

www.tacticalshooters.com always has about 1000 scenarios on file if you have mental block.
Old June 17, 2006, 06:31 PM   #5
hsim

Lycanthrope

Thanks for the link, great stuff!
Old June 17, 2006, 07:13 PM   #6
Lycanthrope

No problem.
Old June 17, 2006, 11:59 PM   #7
Jeff22

Internet sources for IDPA & IPSC courses of fire

Internet sources of courses of fire:

www.stageexchange.com
IDPA & IPSC courses of fire

www.gunracer.com
IPSC courses of fire

www.shooternet.com
IPSC & Steel Challenge courses of fire

www.uspsa.org
USPSA Classifiers on USPSA website (click on the "additional content" icon and then "classifier stage diagrams")

http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/stage/htm
(IPSC stages)

www.tacticalshooters.com
The Tactical Shooter's Club of Texas. Click on the "scenarios" icon.

I prefer the IDPA design philosophy, but I REALLY like USPSA classifier matches. Some of the simpler classifiers could be easily modified to fit your circumstances.