The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 24, 2002, 07:43 PM   #1
RCH

Questions about dimples on 870 mag tube.

Looking to buy a 870, but I have questions about the dimples on the magazine tube. I would like to find/buy one new without the dimples. I intend to add the mag extention- and would like it to work, not just look nice.

1. Can you see the dimples when you rack the slide or do you need to take the mag cap off (carefully) and look inside?

2. Does anyone make an aftermarket mag tube for the 870 so you can get rid of the P.C./B.S. factory tube?

Thanks!
Old August 24, 2002, 08:02 PM   #2
Chang

Take the barrel off. It's right under the barrel band.

Pump the gun, slide the pump back halfway so the action is halfway open. Unscrew the magazine cap (don't let the spring fly out in case the retainer isnt in place). Take off the barrel. Right under the barrel band, you'll see the dimples if they are there.
Old August 24, 2002, 08:13 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The "dimples" can be removed so an extension can be added.
The only new guns without the dimples are the 870-P Police guns, and (I think) the Express models with the factory installed mag extension. I'm not sure if the new Wingmasters still have the non-dimple magazine assemblys.

Since the factory mag tube is brazed in place, they are not intended to be replaceable outside the factory.

Your choices are:
Buy a Police model or an Express with the factory extension.
Buy an Express and remove the dimples.
Buy a good condition older gun without the dimples.
Check the new Wingmaster for dimples.
Old August 24, 2002, 10:05 PM   #4
nsf003

This is why I like a Mossberg 500. No dimples, you can add a magazine extension with ease. I also like it because of the position of the slide release(don't have to take finger out of trigger guard and positon of safety IMHO is more natural. And that is doesn't have that damn metal thing that I always seem to get my fingers caught on when trying to load the magazine tube. I also like the fact that it has 2 extractors.

My opinion.

nsf

I'm probably going to get mauled for saying that. Getting fire extinguisher ready.

Molon Labe!
Lets Roll!
Old August 24, 2002, 10:57 PM   #5
Coronach

NSF003, why? No one here dislikes the Mossy.

FWIW, it is REALLY easy to remove the dimples. I drilled them out using a cordless drill and a small bit for a pilot hole, followed by a larger one which pretty much ate up the dimple, followed by a little bit if metal sandpaper to eliminate any rough edges or dimple-remains. All in all, 15 minutes of work or less. VERY easy.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old August 25, 2002, 10:03 AM   #6
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Ditto what Mike just said. Removing the dimples is a pain to have to do but no big deal.

I would caution to you function check with the extension tube afterwards though. Must make sure the follower will pass totally unobstructed past your now-fixed shotgun.

If it hangs up even just a l'il bit, EVER, it's just a bad thing waiting to happen.
Old August 25, 2002, 10:53 AM   #7
nsf003

Coronach

Most people here, at least it seems to me, really like the Remington 870. I was pointing out the downsides, and people don't like to hear why their favorite gun isn't everything they thought it was.

The Mossberg 500 is not perfect either.

Was preparing myself for the mauling that I thought was coming next.

nsf

Molon Labe!
Lets Roll!
Old August 25, 2002, 01:01 PM   #8
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Golly, nsf, consider yourself flamed.

Although the 870's my fave, I still have some problems with it once in a while. Missed a dove last season. Still can't seem to find the problem.
Old August 25, 2002, 02:12 PM   #9
9mmMike

nsf,
There is very seldom any flaming in this forum. Hi caliber of folks here, ya know!

Anyhoo,
I would not let these dimples stop me from buying an 870 (obviously) if I were to find a really good deal.
I have removed the dimples from two of my Express models. It is very easy. I used a modifired version of the well-documented dremmel method plus the "I found a socket that I could tap in to push the dimples out just a bit. Then I use a small hammer, with the socket in place and tap the dimples flat. Then I dressed it with the dremmel and sand paper, especially inside to get a smooth, no-drag, surface. A shot of paint (which you can not see under the barrel ring anyway, and it is done. It is practically invisible.
Many folks have just drilled 'em but the thought of holes there makes me cringe. OK I'm a sissy.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!