The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 25, 2010, 02:26 PM   #1
chasep255

Bushmaster ACR

Can I legally own this in NJ. It's not on that list of assault weapons so can I also have everything like the bayonet lug and flash suppressors.
Old July 25, 2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

You need to read the entire law. It doesn't stop at the end of the specific list. Just like the old Federal AWB, it goes on to list a bunch of prohibited "evil" features.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp///info/p...itle13ch54.pdf

Quote:
i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least
two of the following:
(1) A folding or telescoping stock;
(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(3) A bayonet mount;
(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash
suppressor; and
(5) A grenade launcher;
An AR-15 has a detachable magazine and it has a protruding pistol grip. That's all you can have. Anything else puts you into prohibited territory. Which means:

No folding or telescoping stock
No flash suppressor
No bayonet lug
No grenade launcher
Old July 25, 2010, 03:43 PM   #3
chasep255

Well read the paragraph above... Also I was talking about the ACR and not the AR-15

The following are examples of manufacturer changes that do not alter the essential nature of the
firearm: the name or designation of the firearm; the color of the firearm; the material used to make
the barrel or stock of the firearm; the material used to make a pistol grip; and a modification of a
pistol grip. This is not an exclusive list. A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be
"substantially identical," that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it
meets the below listed criteria:
i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least
two of the following:
(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(3) A bayonet mount;
suppressor; and
(5) A grenade launcher;
Old July 25, 2010, 03:52 PM   #4
ScottRiqui

Same problem with the ACR - since it has a detachable magazine, a prominent pistol grip, a folding stock and a flash suppressor, it's a definite no-go.
Old July 25, 2010, 04:31 PM   #5
chasep255

But the way the law sounds is that those features only matter if it resembles one on the list.
Old July 25, 2010, 04:54 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasepreuninger
But the way the law sounds is that those features only matter if it resembles one on the list.
Then you are reading the law the way you would like it to read rather than the way it is written. Those features matter for anything OTHER THAN those on the list or substantially similar thereto. What did you not understand?

Quote:
A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be "substantially identical," that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it meets the below listed criteria:
i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:
(3) A bayonet mount;
suppressor; and
(5) A grenade launcher;
Old July 25, 2010, 07:17 PM   #7
chasep255

I hate legal stuff. Just got hopeful that I might just actually be able to own something cool in this state.