The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 1, 2015, 03:06 PM   #1
milkrun49

1936 Colt Detective Special

Hopefully a simple question. I own a 1936 Detective Special that my grandfather carried for 30 years as a detective on the Chicago Police Dept. He gave it to me years ago and I carried it for another 25 Years as a backup weapon when I was a police officer. Because I carried it on my ankle I had a Armorloid finished put on. Did I loose any real value? Not sure how to post a picture.
Old November 1, 2015, 03:20 PM   #2
P5 Guy

Guns in LNIB condition command the best prices. Refinished guns are considered shooter grade and are valued lower, in some cases much lower depending on the quality of the 'new' finish.
Old November 1, 2015, 04:04 PM   #3
highpower3006

Quote:
Did I loose any real value?
In a word, yes. Once a gun has been refinished it has 0% original finish and they are often valued as such. If it had been refinished by the Colt factory, the value wouldn't take as much of a hit. Pre war Detective Specials are somewhat sough after, so I would still say it would bring $400+ on the market. Since it is a family heirloom, it would be priceless if it was mine.
Old November 2, 2015, 08:33 AM   #4
joe-lumber

refinished Det. Special

I mistakenly purchased a refinished Det. Special and that was the first thing dealers at a gun show told me. True they were talking it down to purchase it at a lower price which I'm glad I unloaded it to a dealer. The timing was off and it only fired 5 shots out of the 6. My thought is if a gun has problems, sell it even if I have to take a loss.
Old November 2, 2015, 01:11 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

An old Detective Special with an Armoloy (proper spelling) hard chrome finish would actually be a very cool gun. While not a collector piece, it would be a great, practical, carry gun.
Old November 2, 2015, 08:50 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Hey . . . if I had my grandfather's Colt that he carried on the job for 35 years and it had been passed down to me . . . and I carried it on the job for 25 years . . . . I wouldn't be concerned at all what finish it had on it . . . to me . . it would be "Priceless" and nobody could put a value on it. If you have kids, I hope you pass it on to them . . . if not . . . I hope you pass it on to a close relative or someone who will really appreciate the history of it.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 3, 2015, 12:32 AM   #7
milkrun49

My Colt Detective Special

As I read some of the reply I see many of you think like I do. The gun has been in the family for over 70 years and has never me down. I remember helping my grandfather clean it back in the early 50's. That gun never failed to amaze me. I remember him telling me that when he went on the Chicago police debt. in 1935 that he had to buy his duty weapon with his own money and when he made detective in the Missing Persons division he bought the Detective speci
As I read some of the reply I see many of you think like I do. The gun has been in the family for over 70 years and has never me down. I remember helping my grandfather clean it back in the early 50's. That gun never failed to amaze me. I remember him telling me that when he went on the Chicago police debt. in 1935 that he had to buy his duty weapon with his own money and when he made detective in the Missing Persons division he bought the Deceive Special at a sporting goods store for about $26.00. I have the Colt Letter stating the gun history. When I carried it I had to qualify once a year along with my department P 220 Range offer hated seeing me on the line because it was slow. Never bothered me. Once I became the range officer others saw the advantage of a small 2 in. Long story short, my 2 sons in their 40's (non gun believers) are out of the picture. Maybe it will go in the hole with me. lol
Old November 3, 2015, 03:11 AM   #8
DaleA

Quote:
-my 2 sons in their 40's (non gun believers) are out of the picture. Maybe it will go in the hole with me. lol
Do NOT despair! People, even in their 40's and 50's can have a change of heart and mind. Even if they don't become 'gun folk' they still might change their minds and value something that belonged to their dad and THEIR kids might be gun folk.
Old November 3, 2015, 03:53 AM   #9
kilimanjaro

It's value lies in it's being an heirloom. Buy another revolver and give one to each of your sons with the condition they not be sold outside of the family. They can trade each other for the one they want.