The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 15, 2013, 09:15 AM   #1
Kimio

Trigger work for a Mosin?

Not sure if I should put this here or in the Smithy section.

I was wondering how difficult it would be to modify a completely stock M91/30 Mosin trigger. Their stock triggers are not exactly smooth and crisp as I'm sure many of you know.

What tools would I need to perform such a modification?

I'm a newbie at this, and would appreciate any kind of in depth instructions or directions to such information.

Thank you.
Old April 15, 2013, 01:26 PM   #2
tobnpr

Go over to Gunboards, plenty of threads on trigger mods.

Proceed at your own risk. If you don't know what you're doing-as with trigger mods on any firearm- you risk slamfires and accidental discharges.

If you really want a match-grade trigger, buy the Timney...
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old April 15, 2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Erno86

You can Google: Trigger job M91-30...but I would not go below a 3 or a 3.5 pound trigger pull.

Before I bought my M91-30 sniper from a gunsmith...he had the trigger dangerously down to about a 2 ounce crisp trigger pull. I had to buy a new trigger leaf spring, from Numrich Gun Parts. A little polishing will help...but I would not overdue it. C&R matches have a trigger pull pound limit which might be a 3 or a 3.5 pound limit, but I'm not sure which is which.

You should perform a drop test with any Mosin that you buy --- or any trigger work that has been done on it. Probably any gun --- with enough force --- will fail a drop test...but I could fire my Mosin, with a 2 ounce trigger pull, just by slapping the heel of my hand on the rear of the Mosin's bolt; with the safety off.

Do a drop test --- with an unloaded gun {safety off} --- by shoving the butt of the Mosin stock, onto a hard padded surface, from about 1 foot in height. It should not trip the sear. I'm no gunsmith or expert.

When Westinghouse built M91-30's for Russia, here in the U.S. --- they had a uniformed Czar Russian inspector --- who always drop tested the newly manufactured Mosin's at the factory. The U.S. workers, decided to play a trick on him...by putting a live 7.62x54 round in the chamber, on an over polished trigger group on a Mosin. The unknowing Czar inspector drop tested that Mosin... and was startled to have the gun discharge, with the bullet hitting the roof.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; April 15, 2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old April 15, 2013, 05:42 PM   #4
MilJunkie

Timneys are GREAT if you can spend the money. Huber Concepts are not much cheaper and not worth it IMO

You will read of many mods to these triggers. Some are better than others, but a couple things I have found:

Shims on the sear create the most possibility of slam fire, because the sear is moved down.

On some target rifles, the Finns beveled the sear on the sides down about 1mm so that the top was only about 1mm wide, so when engaged it has a full surface, but the top is thinner and releases easier.

Installing a Finn M27 trigger with a pinned sear also makes a big difference in creep and release.

Last edited by MilJunkie; April 17, 2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old April 17, 2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Duzell

if you want a timnys trigger, i recommend getting the new archangel stock and then everything is drop in , no mods needed and it should improve your shooting

http://www.archangelmanufacturing.co...products-2013/

video on site help show how to instal