The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2013, 11:01 PM   #1
TheDutchman19

308 Winchester verse 308 Palma

Does anyone have any experience or can someone explain the differences between 308 Winchester cases verse 308 Palma cases. If I understand it correctly it is the difference between large primer, small primer.

What is the differences between how they perform?
Old January 14, 2013, 07:31 AM   #2
Bart B.

Probably just a naming convention unless you're referring to small primer .308 brass from Lapua. But until I know the specific make and type of cases, I'm not able to say much more. Doubt there's anything that's any advantage as standard .308 Win. commercial cases have been winning Palma matches for decades.

I've used both small and large rifle primers in .308 Win. cases; not one bit of significant difference except those with small primers need to be shot in warmer ambient temperatures; some of the small rifle primers I used did not fire upon firing pin impact in 40 degree F weather. You'll need the hotter ones to work well.

Last edited by Bart B.; January 14, 2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:36 PM   #3
TheDutchman19

Bart B

Thanks for the reply. I am referring to only what I have seen, which is Lapua. When I was searching for a new gun, 308 Palma was an option I had never heard of. I have been buying 308 Lapua brass and its getting harder to come by lately. They always seem to have 308 Palma available though.

In regards to Lapua brass, what process has been done to the shoulder and neck which gives it that dull discoloration? Is it annealed?
Old January 15, 2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Bart B.

Discolored neck and shoulder areas are probably the result of not polishing the cases after they've been annealed. Virtually all commercial rifle cases, after that sheet of cartridge brass has been coined, cupped and drawn a few times, headed, rimmed, the front third annealed to make the neck and shoulder more flexible for shaping, necked and finally shaped and trimmed to specs, then polished so they look pretty.

Military cases are typical of such case appearance. Unless you're entering the cases in a beauty contest, just shoot the darned things.

Last edited by Bart B.; January 15, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:36 AM   #5
kraigwy

I loaded a batch of Remington Small Rifle Primer cases a while back. I loaded them just like my other match loads for my M1A that being 41.5 gr of 4895, Fed Match primer (only SR instead of LR) and 168 & 180 Sierra Match Kings.

Shot them at 29 Palms in a 1000 yard match (using the 180s) and NMC (using 168s). They worked quite well.

I have to say I never tried them in cold weather. My shooting SR 308s was limited because I was shooting for the Guard and using their ammo for most of my shooting.

But from when I did use them, they worked quite well.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071