The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 9, 2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Herbert1517

fail to feed ?

After cleaning my new S&W SD 40 VE, I loaded both new magazines loaded with PMC Bronze .40 165 fmj-fp. Mags inserted fully but ammo would not feed when I drew the slide back fully and released it. I tried partially loaded mags, and single rounds in both mags but the pmc would chamber. They got hung up on the feed ramp at about a 45 degree angle. Reloaded both magazines with WWB and shot 100 rounds with no issues. Any ideas? Thanks. (btw I am new to semi-autos)
Old August 9, 2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Onward Allusion

Key word - "new". Any burs on the ramp? Some pistols need a break-in or fluff-n-buff on the ramp. Run a few hundred rounds through it and see what happens.
Old August 9, 2012, 09:45 PM   #3
drail

Please don't start "polishing" until you have examined every single other part that the cartridge touches when feeding (extractor, breech face, magazine lips and top inside of chamber) Semi auto feed ramps do not need to be polished smooth contrary to current popular belief. Millions of military rifles and pistols have fed just fine for a hundred some years now with feed ramps that have grooves and ridges in them. Rounds don't "slide" up the ramp, they hit it hard and bounce up into the roof of the chamber. People are fond of polishing their ramps because it's something they can do themselves and they think it looks better. A great many pistols have been seriously damaged by guys who believe that polishing it will improve feeding performance. It doesn't. Run a couple of "new" rounds through the gun and look closely for gouges and nicks on the rim and case head. They will show you where to look on the gun for burrs. 90% of feed problems are caused by magazines and extractors with poor finishes or sharp corners on them.
Old August 10, 2012, 05:28 AM   #4
Herbert1517

Thanks

Thank you both for the insight. I believe I'll put a few hundred WWB through it (since those fed well) and check for damage to the cases. Thanks again.