The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 7, 2022, 10:29 PM   #1
reap

Remington 870 special help

Need some help here from you guys… I decided to replace the stocks on this shotgun with something a bit shorter for my daughter. Was going to go back with a Magpul stock and upon removing the recoil pad, there was a wood plug and then… this. I was expecting a long screw that I would need to remove but have no idea what this is or how to proceed in it’s removal. Have any of you ran into this and have a suggestion for me? Thanks for any help…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7508DA52-9D1C-4EDF-B540-475B3D6300B4.jpeg (275.1 KB, 109 views)
Old June 8, 2022, 05:35 AM   #2
MC 1911

Hard to tell from the pic but almost looks like a hex head screw. Will an allen wrench fit in it?
Old June 8, 2022, 08:40 AM   #3
ligonierbill

That looks like someone added a weight to the stock and secured it by tapping in the small wedge. See if you can pull that wedge out and free the weight.
Old June 8, 2022, 10:03 AM   #4
Pahoo

The old learning curve

Quote:
That looks like someone added a weight to the stock and secured it by tapping in the small wedge. See if you can pull that wedge out and free the weight.
That would be my SWAG on this. I have worked on a number of 870 stocks but not enough to run into this.....

Just another item, on the old learning curve and should not present a problem. Make sure and let us know how you made out. Thanks for sharng .....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 8, 2022, 12:20 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

Be careful it could be a recoil reducer filled with mercury.
Old June 8, 2022, 02:41 PM   #6
reap

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions… It definitely is not a hex head and the weight makes sense, but not certain as to how I’m going to approach getting it out as it seems to be in there pretty solid. Will keep you guys updated. Thanks again!
Old June 8, 2022, 06:39 PM   #7
Pahoo

Don't give up; it will come out. ....

Quote:
but not certain as to how I’m going to approach getting it out as it seems to be in there pretty solid
Well, I'd start by pulling that wedge at the 11:00 position and then expect the round piece to be glues, in some fasion; probably rubber cement. You really have not stated what material, the bar is made of. Is it wood, ferrous or non-ferrous? You are correct on the position of the machine bolt head; it's way down in the hole. Don't give up and try to work that bugger, loose ....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 8, 2022, 07:39 PM   #8
Smoke & Recoil

Well, if you're gonna replace the stock any way, you could try the inertia
affect...wait, did I spell ( inertia ) right ? Slam the stock butt-side down.
Old June 8, 2022, 09:52 PM   #9
reap

Success!!

It’s out! Combination of inertia… pulling the wedge and working it out with an awl and some threats of physical violence against the wood stock and it’s out. It’s about 6” long, 10.6 ounces and when you shake it… definitely liquid inside. Maybe the mercury? Makes sense but unlike any I saw in my research after the suggestion. It will stay with the original stock and if it ever needs to go back in, it’s there. Thank you all for the suggestions and advice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 42C0117C-2886-4145-B978-5EBF0A6DE752.jpeg (562.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpeg 01658596-347A-49B4-9FC9-1E564BA164D3.jpeg (177.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpeg F3DFFEA2-EECC-4FA4-BF5C-C63C2BF3A731.jpeg (190.3 KB, 61 views)
Old June 9, 2022, 06:16 AM   #10
Rob228

I recognize that stock now, I've got one just like it. I got a great deal on an 870 LW Special that someone had chopped the stock wayyyyyy down on. Managed to scrounge up a new one from Numrich. Don't see too many English stocked 870s.
Old June 9, 2022, 08:22 AM   #11
jaguarxk120

Remove that tape wrapping to find out what the thing really is.
If it is a Mercury Recoil reducer, they cost about $75.
The removing of the recoil reducer will affect the guns balance,
you might see an improvement.
Old June 10, 2022, 09:36 PM   #12
reap

One more update

Ok… one more update because it’s been that kind of week and so I have to share. Had so much time invested and struggled with the stock which you guys helped with… got the stock pulled off and the new magpul installed. Moved to the fore end and got it all pulled apart, ready to install the new piece and it doesn’t fit. What the heck, right? I did the hard part, saved the easy parts to finish it up and now it isn’t going to work?

Correct. I did some research and I have 1984 Special Field with the straight English stock and a special barrel and a shorter tube. So…. Everything back to stock and original as no parts I can find will fit without some serious mods. It looks nice and a great weapon but will be put in the safe and not used very often. I have other primary use field guns and this was just an extra I wanted to play with to change it up a bit. I appreciate again, all the knowledge and advice you guys shared with me.
Old June 11, 2022, 05:51 AM   #13
jmr40

Quote:
Remington 870 special help

Is that an 870 Special Field, or an early 870 Special Purpose with walnut stocks. IMO either of those guns are rare enough that I'd leave them alone.

I'd pick up a less expensive, more common 870 to put a magpul stock on.

Winston Churchill
Old June 11, 2022, 06:51 PM   #14
Pahoo

Mercury have some special and strange properties

Quote:
Remove that tape wrapping to find out what the thing really is.
I'm sure by now, that you have pulled the tape off but you really didn't have to, in order to see if it's filled with mercury. It's been a long timw since I've worked with these and have forgotten the generic name. Just shaking it will indicate when you have. The theory is the the sudden recoil of the firearm makes the mercury react vivalntly and absorb the shock of the recoil. Unless it's some kind of a rookie made buffer, you don't have much to worry about. Frankly, I'd find a way to keep it in service. .....

Be Safe !!!!