The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 6, 2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Longun

Some dumb questions but have to start somewhere

What dies to buy

Have a 30/06 Remington all I find for dies is for the Springfield are they the same ?
China 9/19 pistol any place I can buy dies for this round
Bersa 7.65 any place I can buy dies for this round
7.62/39 SKS China is this the same as the Russian ( if not need info on where to get dies)
Bersa chambered in .40 is this a S&W cal. ( if not need info on where to get dies)
Have looked at Graf & midway

where is the line between large & small pistol & rifle Primers
I have read that I can disable the auto index on the Lee turret press for the learning curve ( true / false )
Lee perfect powder measure will this attach to the press or is it stand alone
Crimp dies do all calibers benefit from this

My List
Lee 4 hole turret press with auto index
One 4 hole turret for each cal.
One Lee loadall 2 in 16 gauge plus lee conversion kit in 20 &12 gauge all in 2 ¾
One Lee loadall 2 shot press primer feed
Lee universal charging die
Frankford Arsenal Quick - n -ez. Case tumbler
Frankford Arsenal dial caliper 6” s.s.
Frankford Arsenal impact bullet puller
Lee pocket primer cleaner
Rcbs rangemaster 750 ele. scale
Lee perfect powder measure
Lee lock stud & cutter
Rcbs Universal hand primer
Lee camfer tool
Rcbs Powder trickler
Any suggestions welcome I need the most bang for my buck
Thank you longun

People ask why we have so many gun’s we tell them we don’t own any they belong to are
Great , Great Grandchildren we are jest the caretakers.
Old May 6, 2008, 03:24 PM   #2
deanadell

Quote:
Have a 30/06 Remington all I find for dies is for the Springfield are they the same ?
30-06 is 30-06.........

Quote:
Are you trying to say 9 x 19 mm? This is the standard 9mm parabellum, or 9mm Luger

Quote:
everywhere. Midway. Ebay. etc. This is a .380

Quote:
7.62/39 SKS China is this the same as the Russian ( if not need info on where to get dies)
No. "7.62 Russian" refers to the 7.62 x 54R round
Old May 6, 2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Scorch

Quote:

everywhere. Midway. Ebay. etc. This is a .380
The 7.65 is 32 ACP, not 380 ACP.
Old May 6, 2008, 04:16 PM   #4
Longun

7.65x39

Thank you for the replies sorry for the delay went and Voted

Midway list under part No. 740806 Lee Pacesetter 3-Die Set 7.62x39mm Russian this is Where my confusion lays.

Was told 7.65 was a .32 needed the ACP.

Any advice on the equipment

Longun7.62

People ask why we have so many gun’s we tell them we don’t own any they belong to are
Old May 7, 2008, 07:54 AM   #5
deanadell

Quote:
The 7.65 is 32 ACP, not 380 ACP.
Thanks for correcting me Scorch...I knew better than that....

Longun,

My advise is to buy a good Manual. Get the Lee Reloading manual if you are going to use thier equipment. If you can find someone who reloads locally to help you get started, start with one of the straight-walled pistol cartiges (9mm or .32 ACP) until you get your feet wet.
Old May 7, 2008, 09:18 AM   #6
Longun

I had a friend that was going to give me a hand learning the ropes
But he passed this last winter. My world is a lot smaller with out him.

I have lee’s modern reloading second edition but can not find reference to a couple Of my questions.

1. Six rifle’s & four side arms I wish to reload. The primers
All appear to look the same. Are they large or small ? Here are the calibers
rifle’s 45/70 , 308 win , 35 rem. , 30/30 win. , 30/6 Springfield , 7.62 / 39 china
side arms 9 / 19 , 7.65 , .40 , .38 are they all large.

2. Midway list under part No. 740806 Lee Pacesetter 3-Die Set 7.62x39mm Russian this is Where my confusion lays. Lee shows no data on the 7.62x39

3. Lee perfect powder measure will this attach to the press or is it stand alone. In the Lee manual It appears to stand alone. But with a drop tube looks like it could be mounted above the press. Has any one done this.

With the kids raised the wife & I would like to get back into shooting & it only makes cents to reload

Thanks
Longun

Old May 7, 2008, 10:13 AM   #7
Sevens

As a brand new reloader, you may get completely overwhelmed (especially with regards to startup costs) if you try to get every single thing for ten calibers all at once. Why not pick two or three calibers and get started with those, learn a bit, then work toward the others as goals? Just the reloading dies in each caliber, if you buy all 10, is going to set you back a few hundred on their own. Have you considered that you'll need to buy bullets for each caliber? And an array of different powders, each at $20-$25 a pound?

The primer sizes are not all the same, and more-- you can't use pistol primers in rifle loads and vice versa except in a few rare cases. So eventually, you will need to stock three kinds of primers at a minimum-- Large rifle, small rifle, and small pistol.

For load data on the 7.62x39, also look for it marked ".30 Russian" The ".30 Russian" is obviously the SKS and AK-47 calibers. The much older 7.62x54R is a caliber for old surplus Mosin-Nagant rifles and is somewhat more obscure than 7.62x39.

My advice would be to skip over the 7.62x39 for now-- many folks still find that buying large lots of junk surplus ammo is a better deal than reloading this ammo. Obviously, not everyone agrees, but I think it's good advice.

Lee's perfect powder measure can be attached to some of the Lee progressive presses with a wire actuating arm, but I don't know if the turret press is one of those.
Old May 7, 2008, 01:13 PM   #8
DEDON45

Get a couple of reloading manuals... all of them will denote what kind of primers each cartridge will take, and most include cross-reference charts so that you can try different brand primers. For instance, .45ACP takes a Large Pistol Primer ... Winchester calls theirs a WLP, Remington calls theirs a 2 1/2, CCI is # so and so (I don't use CCI, so I don't know off the top of my head) , so on and so forth.

The only thing I would add to your list is a decent beam scale. The electronic ones are OK, but are more subject to environmental issues (weak battery, heat, cold, etc.) than the old fashioned beam scales are... it's cheap insurance to have one to cross-check things with occasionally (I use a beam scale exclusively... I make my living with electronics and I don't trust them, FWIW). I use a Hornady M scale (hard to find now, I think they're phasing them out), but the RCBS scales are quite nice. If anything, get a set of scale check weights.
Old May 7, 2008, 01:20 PM   #9
DEDON45

One other thing; having used a Lee's Perfect Powder measure in the distant past, it is a little leaky with really fine powders... also, run a whole hopper of powder thru it before counting on it dropping consistent drops (it says to do this in the manual)... If you haven't bought yet, consider spending a few extra bucks on a Lyman 55 powder measure, RCBS powder measure or (what I use) a Hornady LnL Powder measure. With the powder charge being one of the more critical items of a handload (in my opinion, anyhow), it's worth spending a bit more on a really good measure, if you're not going to trickle and weigh each charge.
Old May 7, 2008, 01:32 PM   #10
Archie

Quote:
Have a 30/06 Remington all I find for dies is for the Springfield are they the same?
.30-06, .30/06 and .30-06 Springfield are all the same round. Yeah, it’s goofy to have so many variations, but life is like that.

Quote:
9x19, 9x19 NATO, 9mm Parabellum and 9mm Luger are all the same thing. Everyone and everyone’s dog makes dies for it.

Quote:
Same as .32 ACP; Europeans call it 7.65 Browning, I think.

Quote:
7.62x39 Russian is the popular U. S. name for the SKS round. All SKS rifles are chambered for this same thing – unless someone has monkeyed with it. The confusingly similar round is the 7.62 Russian, which – as mentioned – is really the 7.62x54R round. It’s a longer round for the Mosin, Tokorev and Drugonov rifles (and a few 1895 Winchesters).

Quote:
Bersa chambered in .40 is this a S&W cal.
About the only “40 caliber” round these days is the .40 S&W. Pretty common.

Quote:
where is the line between large & small pistol & rifle Primers
No line, they are different critters.
Small pistol primers and small rifle primers are the same diameter, but the cup on the rifle primer is harder and the igniter charge is bigger.
Large pistol primers and large rifle primers are the same diameter, but the cup on the rifle primer is harder and the igniter charge is bigger.

The outside diameter is visibly and obviously different. A large primer won’t even start in a small primer pocket (unless you have a REALLY big hammer) and a small primer will fall out of a large primer pocket.

Under normal conditions, rifle and pistol primers are not interchangeable in use. Yes, one can accidentally substitute one for the other, but it’s not good. Simply pay attention. The boxes are labeled.

Quote:
The primers All appear to look the same. Are they large or small ? Here are the calibers rifle’s 45/70 , 308 win , 35 rem. , 30/30 win. , 30/6 Springfield , 7.62 / 39 china
All large rifle with possible exception of 7.62x39. Some manufacturers use small size rifle primers. (No idea why.)
Quote:
side arms 9 / 19 , 7.65 , .40 , .38 are they all large.
9x19, 7.62/.32 ACP, .40 S&W and .38 Special are all are small pistol.

Quote:
I have read that I can disable the auto index on the Lee turret press for the learning curve ( true / false )
Sounds reasonable. Check the manual for the press or the Lee website.
Quote:
Lee perfect powder measure will this attach to the press or is it stand alone
I believe so. The one I have has the proper threads to do so.
Quote:
Crimp dies do all calibers benefit from this
Some says they do and some says they don’t. I like them and use them for about everything. Other – equally experienced loaders – think they suck buttermilk.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old May 8, 2008, 07:54 AM   #11
Leeman

Reloading is fun!

Hi Longun:
You have all the informatin you need in "Modern Reloading." See page 409 for the 7.62x39 Russian. Below the drawing you will see "Large Rifle Primers".
Loads are sorted by velocity within each bullet weight. If you select Lee Dies, a single dipper and shell holder is supplied along with a chart for that dipper. Using the dipper is easy safe and quick. The load are usually about 7 to 10% under maximum and frequently more accurate than maximum charges.
Once fired cases seldom require trimming, chamfering or cleaning. Reloading is a simple easy process.
It not only saves money and is a fun pastime, but will give you the once in a lifetime thrill of fireing your own reloads. It is something everyone remembers!
After that experience you will know how far you want to go. Be careful, you'll may start shooting up that ammunition just so you have empties to reload.
Old May 8, 2008, 09:36 AM   #12
Goldy

Just a thought:

You might want to leave the .32 alone until you get proficient at loading.
You need a powder/measure that drops exactly the charge you need. A tenth of a grain makes a big difference in the small charges for the .32.

Have fun, be safe, goldy
Old May 8, 2008, 10:14 AM   #13
Longun

A big thanks

Thank you all that responded to my post. I have learned a lot from all. I well continue to keep reading
The lee manual and keep learning. I was so consumed with learning what I need to order that I dismissed
The pictures thinking I did not need that info until it was time to trim & gage used cases. Completely
Over looked the primers. I will order from Graf &Sons & Midway today. More question are sure to follow.

You might want to leave the .32 alone until you get proficient at loading

Jest picked up a Lyman Spartan at a yard sale this morning for 5.00$ will start with it and keep to Rifle Loads to start.

Thank you
Longun

People ask why we have so many gun’s we tell them we don’t own any they belong to are Great , Great Grandchildren we are jest the caretakers.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:23 AM   #14
UniversalFrost

ok, didn't read the entire thread, but had to jump in with my 2 cents after seems only a couple folks mentioned this.

Get at least 2 different reloading manuals. I would start out with the Lyman 47 or 48th edition and then maybe a lee manual. Also, get the ABC's of reloading.

When loading always compare load data from the different manuals. Even load manuals have typo's or errors. Also, the powder companies have free load data in print and online. Go to the IMR website (google it) and then follow the links to the load section and it has a nice drop down list for each seperate caliber.

Personally I would start out loading the 9x19 and then move on up to the 30/06 . Now, if you have carbide dies you still have to lube the brass every so often ( i do it about evey 10-15 rounds) to help the process go smoother.

Also, read all the stickies at the top of this part of the forum and then reread them. So good info there.

if you have questions feel free to ask.

Also, lee is a good start, but eventually you will want better (and let the Lee lovers start bashing me now).

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old May 8, 2008, 12:50 PM   #15
gandog56

Quote:
About the only “40 caliber” round these days is the .40 S&W. Pretty common.
10mm is also .40 cal, while not as common, quite a few around.
Old May 8, 2008, 07:07 PM   #16
Old Gaffer

Quote:
Quote:

No. "7.62 Russian" refers to the 7.62 x 54R round
7.62 Russian MAY refer to the 7.62X38r (rimmed) Nagant pistol round.

Just letting the OP know that there's at least a third 7.62 out there...

all the best,
Rob