The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 5, 2009, 12:48 PM   #26
2DaMtns

Just another thought, now that I have had the experience of disassembling a Smith without knowing up front what was involved and what tools I needed to get it back together, I won't be doing it again unless I do have the proper stuff, especially the rebound spring tool. That thing is a pain in the butt to get back in there. I marred a few things up trying to ghetto rig it back together. Still works fine, but man, I am glad it's a "project gun." I wouldn't do this to a revolver that you care anything about. Not saying I don't care what I do to this one, but it was already beat up and a few more scratches won't hurt it. It's just gonna be a hunting/fishing/camping/truck back up gun anyway, so it's gonna get blemishes.
Old February 5, 2009, 01:14 PM   #27
Mike Irwin
Staff

And the fear urine flows...

Sigh.
Old February 5, 2009, 01:16 PM   #28
NGIB

I've done some home action jobs on my S&W's and all I own is a good set of screwdrivers. I've never had a problem with the rebound bar or spring either. On every S&W I pick up used, I always open it up, flush with brake cleaner and relube. I generally use 13# rebound springs in mine as well...

I'm old, grumpy, and jaded - still vertical though...
Old February 5, 2009, 01:20 PM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I generally use 13# rebound springs in mine as well..."

Oh man, you are going STRAIGHT to hell for all of your transgressions.

I've only had one gun where the 13 pounder failed to return the trigger smartly every time, and that was resolved with a more extensive action job to smooth out the rebound slide assembly and reduce its friction in the frame.
Old February 5, 2009, 01:22 PM   #30
NGIB

I'll be honest and admit I did watch a good friend, and S&W guru, open his Model 28 up to check something. He gave me a good tour of the internals and I no longer feared this task. When I got home, I opened up my Model 66 and proceeded to give it a tuneup...

I'm old, grumpy, and jaded - still vertical though...
Old February 5, 2009, 02:25 PM   #31
charleym3

Gee whiz people

Ya know, I gotta tell ya, I never thought that this would happen from what I thought was a simple question.
I have fear of getting inside the S&W. I'll take off the side pate,correctly, remove the strain spring, hammer, and lock, but that's as far as I'm comfortable. The next step is the rebound slide and that strikes fear into me.
I really want to put in a lighter rebound spring, but my fear is stopping me and making me think about employing a gunsmith. I need to get over it.
Routine cleaning for me will be a once a year event. I shoot a 22-4 that just came back from S&W and my goodness it's slick and smooth. After 2-3K rounds I know that there will be fouling inside the lockwork and will need some attention.
Once the spring is changed out, if the only thing I need to do is take off the side plate, hose it out with gunscrubber and reassemble, then I guess I should a stood in bed, rather than open this thread.

No seriously. I'm not advocating taking the thing down to individual parts just because I fired 36 rounds in load development or sight adjustment. However, I believe that I should be able to change simple springs and do a proper clean and lube when needed.

-Charley Mullin
Old February 5, 2009, 03:24 PM   #32
Buzzcook

I'm all thumbs and I take apart my guns on a regular basis for a deep cleaning.
This isn't rocket science, get a manual and a good working surface and you'll be fine. Loosing a spring in the shag carpet ain't the end of the world.
Old February 5, 2009, 10:20 PM   #33
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Loosing a spring in the shag carpet ain't the end of the world."

Wrong.

It causes all the restless souls of all of the Smith & Wesson revolvers that have been destroyed by simple disassembly to CRY OUT IN A UNIVERSE SHATTER SCREAM OF AGONY!

Much's "The Scream" wasn't about a human soul tortured by an increasingly faceless, heartless, disjointed industrialized society!

It was about Smith & Wesson revolvers!

Eh, maybe not. It's open to interpretation.
Old February 6, 2009, 06:38 AM   #34
salvadore

Learn how to break your Smith's down and clean em. It's a revolver for cryin out loud, not a Buick.
Old February 6, 2009, 07:12 AM   #35
Nanuk

Once you learn how to properly disassemble it, its a piece of cake. I totally disassemble most firearms I buy and clean it. I have seen new S&W's with the lockwork full off cardboard powder.
Old February 7, 2009, 07:22 PM   #36
seeker_two

I believe you, Mike....I don't fear taking apart the S&W revolver....

Now, which pair of Vise-Grips should I use with my Leatherman on those action screws?.....

Old February 8, 2009, 12:52 AM   #37
Mike Irwin
Staff

Vice grips?

Leatherman?

I just use my dremel and grind them out.
Old February 8, 2009, 07:33 AM   #38
CDH

Quote:
Vice grips?

Leatherman?

I just use my dremel and grind them out.
Here my wife went and bought me a special set of "Gunsmith's Hammers and Chisels" for Christmas.
I guess if they're not for removing the screws, I use them to adjust the timing? I'll give that a shot.
Old February 8, 2009, 09:10 PM   #39
Gewehr98

Would the fear urine flow?

Were I to post instructions on how to install a trigger overtravel stop pin inside the rebound slide spring? (One of my favorite S&W revolver mods...)

Neural Misfires
Old February 18, 2009, 03:24 PM   #40
mtnbkr

I took my Redhawk apart the other day to give it a good cleaning and a new mainspring. [/piddle]

Chris
Old February 18, 2009, 03:49 PM   #41
Mike Irwin
Staff

Fuh.

A REDhawk...

That's like comparing one of those squat, solidly built and extremely ugly babushkas from the Ural Steppes to a willowly, blond, mid-west beauty.

Old February 20, 2009, 02:22 PM   #42
mtnbkr

After a lifetime of hard labor, my sturdy babushka will look and function the same while your willowy midwest blonde will be a overworked, saggy shadow of her former self.

That and babushkas don't make people piddle themselves in fear.

Chris
Old February 21, 2009, 01:21 AM   #43
Buzzcook

Just thought I'd point something out.

Our good friends at Numrich have free on line schematics for many fine firearms including S&W.

Here is the schematic for the old Model 10. Notice that there's only 88 listed parts and several of those are variations on the same part.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...rModel=1980z10

Now hee is the much more modern Model 686 and it has an incredible 90 numbered parts. So it is much more complicated than the old gun.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...Model=1980z686

Here's a thread from the High Road a related gun forum
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=397027
In it a poster describes his own gun smithing experience on a model ten. You'll need to be a member to see the pictures.

Finally here's a video from Youtube. The guy makes working on a revolver look easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YWDK3OS7IA
Old February 21, 2009, 10:13 AM   #44
Mike Irwin
Staff

At least 20 of those numbered parts for the 686 are front and rear adjustable sight parts. The Model 10 doesn't have adjustable front/rear sights.

In the kind of "thorough field stripping" that is being talked about here, the front and rear sights would NOT be disassembled.

Tags
clean , disassemble , lube , reassemble , s&w