The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 18, 2002, 11:58 AM   #1

Who customizes grips?

Looking for someone to customize or should I say "thin down" some grips I have ordered that are kinda thick for my small hands!
Old August 18, 2002, 09:08 PM   #2
Walosi

Every set of wood (and some other materials) that I've owned in 54 years of shooting has been modified in some way, from refinishing to complete reshaping. "Thinning down some grips" leaves a lot of room for conjecture. Are they 1911 panels for old slabsides, finger grooved combats for a revolver...? This has gotten to be a "sub-hobby" - almost as pleasureable as reloading. You could probably do them yourself with little investment, and a good return in satisfaction. Plus, you will know when they are "right" for you, while the job is in process. Included in "all the grips" above, were a couple of sets made to my handprint by a very good man, and they still needed just a tad of personal attention.
Old August 18, 2002, 10:54 PM   #3

Walosi, Sorry about not supplying enough info, but the grips are for a SA Champion model 1911 and made out of DuPont Corian, which is an imitation ivory, that I am looking at having "slimmed down" smaller than the regular 1/4 inch that they come in! I would do myself but the original grips that came on my 1911 didnt come out to good when I tried!! So now I would rather let someone (professional) have their hand at it!
Old August 19, 2002, 05:59 AM   #4
Walosi

The only maker I know of who works with Corian is Don Collins. He offers a fitting service on his own grips, and if these are not his, he might be willing to work them down. You can contact him through his site:

http://www.collinscraftgrips.com/

His work is as good as I have seen since my friend Deacon Deason left us.
Old August 19, 2002, 04:41 PM   #5

Walosi, That is exactly where I am getting the grips from, but Don can only make them 1/4 inch thick. I just found out that the Corian material will warp if made any thinner so I guess I will be ordering some 1/4 inch thick Corian grips. Thanks for your reply though!
Old August 19, 2002, 06:22 PM   #6
sven

Ask Hakan.

http://www.hakan-grips.com