The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 26, 2014, 02:29 PM   #1
Venom1956

Saiga Sporter Conversions

What custom shops do the best Sporter to AK conversions? Authenticity and part quality wise?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 26, 2014, 06:44 PM   #2
amd6547

Why not do it yourself? It's pretty easy.
Old August 26, 2014, 08:09 PM   #3
AK103K

Marc Krebs did a nice job on mine. Its an early (pre Krebs Custom) AK103K and in the 14 or so years Ive had it, its been trouble free and a good shooter.

My buddy got a more current version a couple of years ago, the work on it is as good or better than mine, and they have made a few changes. His has a flash suppressor, mine, a brake (both permanently attached, as they have 14" barrels.). Im thinking of sending mine in and having it replaced with the FS.
Old August 26, 2014, 09:34 PM   #4
Fishbed77

Quote:
Why not do it yourself? It's pretty easy.
Agreed.

It's a fun project and a great way to learn about the inner workings of the rifle. And there's the pride associated with doing it yourself. It took me all of one Saturday afternoon to convert my IZ-132.
Old August 26, 2014, 10:10 PM   #5
Venom1956

Because I want one like AK103Ks almost exactly like the military one. The sporter has a different gas block and front sight etc.

I really like those 14" with the fixed brake. How does it clean up? Do u use corrosive thru it? Any issues?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 26, 2014, 10:21 PM   #6
chris in va

You're better off buying one then. By the time you spend the time and $$$ on the conversion, it'll be much less of a headache to get the Krebs.
Old August 27, 2014, 05:11 AM   #7
Darker Loaf

As far as my understanding is concerned, Krebbs no longer does custom conversions. They still make rifles, but just stock types that they want to make.

Heh, this: http://www.redjacketfirearms.com/fir...&category_id=3

Or, I'd call http://www.firinglineoklahoma.com/akrifles.html and see how much they are. This is not a conversion though. I'll call them tomorrow when I call about my work order.

I'd say Rifle Dynamics, but their AK's cost an arm and a leg and aren't classic. Maybe you can get them to do a conversion in a classical style? This is pretty sick, and technically cheaper than what I am about to get done: http://rifledynamics.com/collections...ion-700-series

Last edited by Darker Loaf; August 27, 2014 at 05:18 AM.
Old August 27, 2014, 07:42 AM   #8
Yung.gunr

Have you tried http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/
He is on another forum I am on and he has a really good reputation. Haven't had him do any work for me. I don't have the money for his quality of work and I wanted to do my Saiga conversion myself. I wasnt worried about keeping it as authentic as you want to. He probably has a long wait time and is pretty pricey though. From being on the other forum I'm on I have seen other shops open and close because they were not charging enough and accepting too much work to keep caught up. That said, good work will neither be fast or cheap.
Old August 27, 2014, 04:45 PM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
Because I want one like AK103Ks almost exactly like the military one. The sporter has a different gas block and front sight etc.
Have you considered a new Arsenal SLR-107FR? It's Bulgarian rather than Russian, but is a very similar configuration to the AK-103.
Old August 27, 2014, 05:12 PM   #10
Darker Loaf

Venom1956 is a Russian/originalist snob--in a good way, heh. I've got a Bulgarian Arsenal, and he's got a Arsenal Russian 74 variant. He always shames me that his Russian gun works just fine, and my Bulgarian one chokes. He just wants a 7.62x39 in an actual Russian build, which is why he's looking at custom shops, I'm sure.

That's why he will reject most of the ideas I've posted, too. I know the man too well.
Old August 27, 2014, 05:19 PM   #11
AK103K

Quote:
How does it clean up? Do u use corrosive thru it? Any issues?
Cleans up like any of the others I have, although it would be nicer if I could remove the brake to do so.

I dont shoot much corrosive these days, but Id clean it just like anything else I did, hot soapy water, followed by a clean rinse and standard cleaning.

Ive had zero issues with mine. Like I said, its a good, reliable shooter.
Old August 28, 2014, 06:28 PM   #12
Venom1956

Quote:
Venom1956 is a Russian/originalist snob--in a good way, heh. I've got a Bulgarian Arsenal, and he's got a Arsenal Russian 74 variant. He always shames me that his Russian gun works just fine, and my Bulgarian one chokes. He just wants a 7.62x39 in an actual Russian build, which is why he's looking at custom shops, I'm sure.

That's why he will reject most of the ideas I've posted, too. I know the man too well.
Truer Words have seldom been spoken.

I am smitten with the Russian AK barrels and since the talks of imports drying up I can find a sporter very quickly (on hold) and later upgrade it to an AK. Instead of trying to find all the bought out converted ones. Plus since I don't need it this second the sporter can sit in my safe for awhile until I am in the mood.
Old August 28, 2014, 08:05 PM   #13
amd6547

I had Ken Kubin at Global Military Gunsmithing build two kit AK's for me back in the days of cheap kits. He did a great job on both.
He was always known for good work at reasonable prices.
You would probably have to source and supply your conversion parts. 922r must also be observed.
http://www.globalmilitarygunsmithing.com/index.html

Last edited by amd6547; August 28, 2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old November 8, 2014, 05:57 PM   #14
Venom1956

Found a sporter locally for 479.99 Ouch. Or a Century sorta converted siaga for 6 something... Decisions.