The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 11, 2012, 08:20 PM   #1
ralphc21

reloding with a dillon

I have dillon 650xl I have reloded 9mm and 40 I check them with a lyman cartridge gaugeand have about 50 or more out of 500 that will not go in the gauge Does any one have this problem or might tell me what I am doing wrong Thanks Ralph
Old August 11, 2012, 08:26 PM   #2
jepp2

You didn't say the source of the brass.

The 40 S&W is frequently fired in pistols with "generous" size chambers. This results in a bulge in the brass near the head of the base. Depending on the sizing die you are using and how much radius it has, the case will be sized to some place above the head. That is probably the cause.

Just because they don't fit the gage, doesn't mean they will not chamber and fire in your pistol. Remove the barrel and check them.

I find the Lee carbide die will size closer to the head than any other sizing dies. And if that doesn't work, you can always use the Lee or Redding pass through dies that will size the entire length.
Old August 11, 2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Misssissippi Dave

Check you sizing die. Put the ram all the way up (handle fully down). The die should be screwed all the way to the shell plate. Then back it off not more than 1/4 turn. I back off even less. I only leave about .002" of clearance. I use my barrel to check the rounds. I don't reload .40, but, I do reload 9 mm, .38 Special, .357 Mag, and .45. I have not had a problem with Dillon dies not sizing correctly in those calibers.
Old August 11, 2012, 08:53 PM   #4
ROGER4314

I've only had that problem using hard cast bullets. They run a bit oversize and it swells the brass. As stated before, try the rounds in the barrel to see if they chamber correctly.

Flash
Old August 11, 2012, 10:32 PM   #5
30Cal

How do they feed? Might just be dings in the rim.
Old August 12, 2012, 09:55 AM   #6
jmorris

Quote:
Just because they don't fit the gage, doesn't mean they will not chamber and fire in your pistol. Remove the barrel and check them.
Just because they drop in the barrel doesn't mean they will chamber and fire in your pistol. If the rim is dinged up as 30cal suggests you can get a FTF as it enters the breech face.
Old August 12, 2012, 11:34 AM   #7
BigJimP

It can be a combination of things ..or just one thing...

Check resizing die in station 1 ...make sure its down all the way. You may have some bad cases...

station 5 - make sure you are removing all the belling you put in