The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 27, 2006, 03:00 PM   #1
edm1

Primitave weapons in MS

I am moving back to Mississippi and was looking at deer hunting regulation and saw this:

PRIMITIVE WEAPONS
"Primitive firearms" for the purpose of hunting deer, are defined as single or double barreled muzzle-loading rifles of at least .38 caliber; single shot, breech loading, cartridge rifles (.38 caliber or larger) of a kind and type manufactured prior to 1900, and replicas, reproductions or reintroductions of those type rifles; and single or double-barreled muzzle-loading, shotguns with single ball or slug. All muzzle-loading Primitive Firearms must use black powder or a black powder substitute with either percussion caps or #209 shotgun primers or flintlock ignition. Breech loading single shot rifles must have exposed hammers and use metallic cartridges. Cartridges may be loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder. Scopes of any magnification are allowed on primitive weapons. Sidearms are not allowed during primitive weapon season.

I remember when it was Black powder, then it was inlines with shotgun primers, then scopes, now single shot rifles. (notice you can't carry a sidearm)

Is this to get more hunters? I thought the purpose of primitave weapon season was to challenge you to have to get closer to your game etc. I can shoot accurately well over 200 yards, which is 90% of all shots possible in MS with a 45-70.
Old April 27, 2006, 03:16 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Dunno the reason for the change, but the single shot New England Arms Handi-Rifle is selling as fast as they can ship them to the State. Buffalo Bore's Tim Sundles reports that his sale of 45-70 in Miss has sky-rocketed. Everyone in my MS Hunt Club has basically retired their Black Powder guns.

This issue of sidearms is of interest to me, as I wasn't aware and wasn't corrected on it by a local Wildlife Agent. Does it read that you can't wear one or can't use one for the hunt?
Rich
Old April 27, 2006, 03:27 PM   #3
Eghad

The change in the Miss Law was making it tough to find a H&R Buffalo Hunter Classic I just happened to find one on a chance visit to a local dealer

NRA Life Member
Old April 27, 2006, 03:51 PM   #4
edm1

Look at the bottom of the coppied text. Thats all I saw and I was speaking of that. So I don't know if it is enforced or not. 14 years ago we carried sidearms in ML season.
Old April 29, 2006, 10:29 AM   #5
FirstFreedom

Man I hope my state follows suit - I'd love to use my .45-70 in ML season - so no, I'm not a traditionalist on the issue.
Old May 2, 2006, 09:27 AM   #6
Wild Bill Bucks

About 8 years ago, I spent a week of ML hunting with a group of guys, on a ranch here in Oklahoma.
There were only two of us with any "Modern" weapons, primers,sabots,ect.
At the end of the week there had been 6 deer shot, and only the two of us with the "Modern" weapons took deer home.
We looked several hours for the other deer, but could not find them.
I think the biggest problem was, they were shot from distances of 90 to 150 yards, with 90 grains of BP and a patched ball.
Not throwing stones at the primitive hunters, to each his own, but I think the improvements that have been made in ML hunting only helps prevent a lot of wounded and unfound deer.
To me, I need all the help I can get,so like FF, I'm not much of a traditionalist either.
Old May 2, 2006, 11:42 AM   #7
Rich Lucibella
Staff

I went the other direction with my MS single shot Handi-Rifle:
Sent it to David Clay who rebuilt the stock for proper cheek weld. Added a Leupold 50 mm Scope with elevation turret. Had Ashley Emerson design a 15 degree down angled mount to allow enough come-ups on the scope for the 45-70 round. Calibrated the elevation come-ups to 450 yards. and finished it off with a custom butt cuff shell holder from Dick Murray.

You want primitive? I'll give you primitive!
Rich