The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 8, 2013, 10:56 AM   #26
L_Killkenny

Quote:
I anticipate at least 80% of the offered rifles to be built on existing short action designs where you currently find the .22 Hornet and similar cartridges (such as the Savage 25 and Ruger 77/22H).
If that's the case the round will be doomed. There so few shooters interested in .17 cal anything that the new rimfire will not be able to compete with it's centerfire brothers if guns and prices are similar. Especially with the .17hmr and it's $250 guns still around. Not many varmint to fox shooters that will choose a similarly priced .17 rimfire over a .17 centerfire.

As far as repeaters go it's gonna take a whole new class of rifles. Rimfire actions to small, most centerfire actions to big. Not gonna be able to price the rimfire in centerfire class either. The only way it's gonna work is a new action with a price point at or below the centerfire budget guns like the Ruger American, Savage Axis, etc. $300 +/-. Sure there will be guns offered and sold costing more than that by Ruger and CZ. But if there counting on guns in those price ranges carrying this new cartridge it will fail horribly.

Folk will pay more for this new .17 than an HMR, both in guns and ammo cost. But not much more.
Old January 8, 2013, 06:42 PM   #27
FrankenMauser

Yep. I completely agree.

As soon as I saw the overall length of .17 WSM, I did a forehead slap for Winchester/Olin. Idiots! ...Placed themselves outside the "entry level" rifle market, unless the rifle manufacturers are willing to offer 'stretched' versions of existing rimfire models.
Old January 8, 2013, 07:57 PM   #28
L_Killkenny

I'm not sure they priced themselves out yet, We're on a wait and see pattern for that. I don't think they don't have too either. Obviously the manufactures can retool and introduce arms not similar to any they currently offer. How many companies are introduced in the last few years budget centerfires that in no way resemble previous models? Savage Axis, Ruger American, Marlin xs and xl, what ever crappy wanna be Remington is making this week, etc? If they meet a price point in between the .17hmr guns and the .17 hornet and furball guns then they have a chance. If all Ruger, Savage, Remington, etc. do is bring out non budget repeaters and single shots I'll be very disappointed.

Personally I don't know why in the heck Savage hasn't come out with a budget .17 centerfire. Me thinks it would sell like hot cakes.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:12 PM   #29
tuck2

Im a 17 caliber fan. I have HM2, 17 HMR, 17 Fireball, 17 Rem and have a 17 Hornet rifle on order. When the 17 Win S M rifle and ammo becomes available I ll get one. I like trying out new low muzzzle blast and recoil rifles when shooting prairie dogs.