The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 22, 2015, 09:48 AM   #1
amd6547

My Mossberg Revelation

About 20 years ago, i was at a gun show. one dealer had a pile...literally a pile three or four guns deep...of beat up ex-security company riot guns.
There was a big crowd around that table.
I spotted the telltale Mossberg 500 ejection port at the bottom of the pile, and pulled out a beat up, scratched wood Mossberg 500 riot gun, complete with badly applied OD green paint on the barrel, which had been shortened from a C-Lect-Choke tube.
Only it was marked Revelation, Western Auto...a contract gun made by Mossberg. It seemed fully functional.
I bought it for $75.
it was my ugly duckling. It worked perfectly, and shot 00 buck and slugs great. I kind of liked how ugly it was.
Over the years, it went through changes...different stocks, a folder, a Speedfeed birdshead grip.
Finally stripped off the green paint on the barrel, and put on an OEM heat shield which was used and very cheap on eBay. No reason for the heat shield...I just always wanted a GI trench gun, and I don't see a Model 97 in my future. Plus, the barrel just has my cheep and easy cold blue on it...looks OK, but looks even better covered by a heat shield, LOL.
For a while, I ran it with a 20" barrel and long 8-shot mag tube. But I didn't like the increased length and weight. I did install a new mag tube, spring and action slide.
After years of shooting, I started to have failure to eject...I found the ejector screw had backed out. Tightened it down and locktited, it is back kicking out empties.
Finally, I installed the Hogue overmold short LOP Buttstock and forend.
This will likely be my last alteration to this "$75" shotgun, as it is right where I want it now. The short butt took some getting used to, but I shoot it well at ranges out to 25yds using buckshot, and makes the overall length very short.
I particularly like the solid grip of the Hogue forend.

Last edited by amd6547; March 22, 2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old March 22, 2015, 03:33 PM   #2
Dragline45

I have the Hogue 12" lop buttstock on my Mossberg, with the 18.5" barrel it makes for a very small and handy shotgun. It did take a bit getting used to but because of the short length it is very fast to shoulder and the rubber overmold on the grip feels great. One thing to watch out for is the placement of your thumb or it can whack you in the nose, found that out the hard way shooting slugs. I plan on trying the Hogue forend to go with it.
Old March 22, 2015, 05:24 PM   #3
amd6547

I find that if my thumb is riding up by the safety, I don't have a problem. BTW, this shotgun is old enough to have come with a metal safety.
The Hogue forend really performs. When I grab it, my hand is going nowhere, and I can put real, positive forward pressure on it.
I keep it loaded with four FliteControl 00 buck and the first round up, a Hornady varmint express #4 buck.
Old March 22, 2015, 10:29 PM   #4
lamarw

On top of it all you have 20 years of memories with it.

I have a similar story but fast forward to March 2011. I bought a Mossberg Model 500 ATP with a similar 20" barrel and 8 round magazine. Time is money and I had to pay almost double what you had to pay ($145.33).

The only change I have made is to send the barrel to Mossberg for a $35.00 factory re-bluing. It still has the original wood furniture and is in rather presentable shape.

It was a former Alabama Sate Highway Patrol shotgun. Like yours, it is a good shooting shotgun. I keep it next to my bedside nightstand.