The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 13, 1999, 11:47 AM   #1
Prichard

n

[This message has been edited by Prichard (edited February 07, 2000).]
Old March 13, 1999, 01:14 PM   #2
Cat

Yes. Although usually they are less accurate through a tighter choke. Of course the marking that is on the barrel or tube may not be accurate. You could "mike" the restriction so you know what it is. The real test is to shoot the shotgun with different tubes and slugs to find out which is best in your gun.
I have two Remington 1100s. One has the Rem Choke barrel and shoots slugs very well through the Mod tube. The other one was custom bored for the Win Choke tubes and the Imp Cyl is the best tube for slugs. I have not miked either but I know which tube to use in which shotgun.
Cat
Old March 16, 1999, 12:46 AM   #3
Clay Whitehead

Several years ago I read an article in the American Rifleman that compared the various chokes shooting the Foster type slugs that come in most commercial slug loads. The best accuracy came from the modified choke. When I cut the barrel on my Remington 870 from 28" to 20" and installed a choke tube, I used a modified.

Shooting a defensive shotgun class at FAS, my shotgun grouped birdshot, buck and slugs better than the folks that had cylinder choked (no choke) shotguns. Most of them had Mossberg 500's and 590's and I think there was a Benelli, but all were more open choked.

A tighter choke(up to modified) means fewer pellets off target using buckshot. This can be a help in a defensive shooting situation outside a building. You still have to aim to hit what you mean to even with an open choke.

Clay

99% of life is no-shoot situations.