The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 9, 2001, 01:25 PM   #1
Semi-jacketed

.460 Rowland Conversion for your 1911A1?

Hello All,
My first post to The Firing Line although I have been reading for several months and I wish to thank everyone for the information gained and humor I have enjoyed.

I wish to purchase a 1911A1 for conversion to the .460 Rowland cartridge for hunting. Any particular problems experienced? What platform did you use (Colt, Kimber, Springfield) in particular and specifically what model? Any modifications you find useful afterward? Any recommendations or regrets?

Background: I have been shooting handguns for approximately 26 years and longguns for 28 years (I'm 35...I had a good Dad ) I've also had training in both from the U.S. Government, the State and private individuals. I plan to continue training as long as i'm breathing, too. Always have more to learn, and learn from everyone. Sometimes what not to do, heh, heh.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Semi-jacketed; December 9, 2001 at 02:22 PM.
Old December 9, 2001, 02:53 PM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Welcome to TFL S.J.
That is a good question.
You'll want a 1911 that is built strong... Very Strong.
You'll want slides and frames milled from forgings.
I'd go for a Les Baer in this case.
Old December 9, 2001, 03:05 PM   #3
Bob Locke

Mr. Rowland uses and swears by Kimbers. If it's good enough for the guy who developed the cartridge, then it'll probably be okay for you as well.
Old December 9, 2001, 06:42 PM   #4
CastleBravo

For a limited budget I'd say Kimber... the frame & slide are essentially the same as those used by Wilson Combat.

For a bigger budget I'd have one built on a Caspian barstock frame/slide.

I'd go with a setup with a real compensator so the recoil is more tolerable. Shock buffers, strong Wolff recoil springs and a FLGR would seem to be called for here, too.
Old December 9, 2001, 07:30 PM   #5
Rocklobster

Clark's website has a list of recommended and not-recommended models for the conversion.
Old December 10, 2001, 05:03 PM   #6
jason10mm

CastleBravo- I thought Clarke's conversion came with a compensated barrel? Are you refering to Clarke's guns or are other .460s out there? LAter.
Old December 10, 2001, 06:11 PM   #7
Pampers

The $8 Conversion

I "converted" mine to .45 Super for $8.00. Well, $7.95 actually! The cost of a 32# recoil spring from Wolff. Not as hot as the .460 Rowland, but beaucoups cheaper!

Yr. Obt. Svnt.
NRA Golden Eagle
Old December 10, 2001, 06:23 PM   #8
Semi-jacketed

Great Responses!

I appreciate all of the responses in such a short time. I think G.H.'s recommendation is wonderful, but a tad pricey for me when I totaled up. I definitely like the heads-up from the other posters. Good recommendations.

Pampers, you didn't type what 1911 style pistol you used those .45Supers in with just a recoil spring swap. I'm interested also in how many rounds you have put through it so far and the results of accuracy and reliability.

Anyone else? How about some folks who did the conversion and decided it wasn't for them? Or, the people that just love it?
Old December 11, 2001, 08:33 AM   #9
Pampers

Sorry!

Stainless Series 80 Government Model.

Number of rounds? About 200. I DON'T plink with it. Otherwise the gun has several thousand rounds through it in IDPA and IPSC matches. The only malfs were the result of a tired mag spring. Cycle rate DOES require a fresh mag spring! And I, of course, use a Wilson Shok-Buff.

Load Data:
225 gr. Pb SEACO TCBB cast of wheel weights. Moly coated using NECO Moly-Kote system (minus the wax). Lubed with NRA Formula beeswax/alox.

Over 13 gr AA#7,using Federal 210M LARGE RIFLE Match primer (I deepened the primer pocket .006" using a Synclair Primer Pocket Uniformer.) to eliminate primer flowback around the firing pin.

Chrono Info: 1,103 fps with Standard Deviation of 4.5.

Check out www.realguns.com Go to "Archives," look for an article entitled "A Kimber in .45 Super for $8"

Yr. Obt. Svnt.
NRA Golden Eagle
Old December 12, 2001, 12:44 PM   #10
Semi-jacketed

No Apologies Necessary

Thank you for the info Pampers. That is exactly what I was looking for, and I didn't mean to make it appear as if I were chastising you. That is very interesting, but you know I'm "hooked" on the idea of using the .460 Rowland. I do like the .45 Super round, too, however.