The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old September 6, 2013, 07:20 PM   #26
Boomer58cal

I'd look at your picture again, it proves my point quite well. Once you get above about 44 millimeter( With a one inch tube ) on your objective lens you need to go to a larger tube diameter or your pupil size begins to decrease.

It doesn't matter if you're looking through the Hubble telescope the pupil of your eye can only take in so much light. With modern lenses above 95 percent light transmission a 40 millimeter Lens can max out the average human eye.

If scopes worked the way you're interpreting your pictures scopes would still be made with a cylindrical tube.

Boomer
Old September 6, 2013, 11:34 PM   #27
SSA

Quote:
The larger the objective lens the smaller the exit pupil, unless you go to 30 or 35 millimeter tube. With modern lenses 50 millimeter objective lens scopes are becoming unnecessary.
Quote:
Once you get above about 44 millimeter( With a one inch tube ) on your objective lens you need to go to a larger tube diameter
Totally incorrect. Maintube diameter has nothing to do with how much light gets through the scope.
You might want to go to the Low-Light Performance Calculator at scopecalc.com and see how much weight that calculator gives to tube diameter.
Old September 7, 2013, 08:09 AM   #28
hooligan1

Taylorce1 mentioned the Vortex Viper series, and you say you like a higher power.... now hear me out Peetz, The Simmons Whitetail Classic, in 6.5-20x50 is a steal at $110.00 at Midway, it does have an adjustable objective, however it works very well, you also mentioned you weren't sure how a power setting that high would say pick up a walking or even trotting deer at 50 yds,,, you have a point there, I haven't pointed my Simmons at a trotting deer yet but at the range its totally cool for my old eyes.... It's the highest quality scope for the price in that power range, I believe.... just my buckfitty.
Old September 7, 2013, 09:22 AM   #29
Huffmanite

Might want to consider a Weaver Super Slam 4-20x50. Weaver has a $100 rebate on certain reticle models of it. Seems www.natchezss.com may have lowest price on Super Slams.....leastways Natchez did when I checked around several weeks ago.

Have a couple of these 4-20x50s, plus a lower power model. Very nice optics and you should like its pull up turrets and side focus.

Only complaint I'm aware of is its weight. Evidently its internals are built like a tank and not a scope you'd want for a light carry rifle. Oh yea, it is not a long scope either, so if you have some wide spacing between the rings on a rifle, you may need extension rings and etc.

Also, the Weaver Super Slam is made in Japan by a company that makes the higher end scopes for Bushnell, Sightron and other brands that I can't presently remember.
Old September 7, 2013, 09:46 AM   #30
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I appreciate the input, gentlemen, but the scope is on the Fedex truck for delivery today.
I'll close this and report my results in another thread,
Closed Thread