The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 18, 2012, 01:06 PM   #1
rajbcpa

Cowboy loads

...anyone have experience with loading centerfire 45 colt with BP?

any tricks or cautions?
Old September 18, 2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Shotgun693

Never have a space between the top of the powder and the base of the bullet. Use a BP lube, smokeless lube leaves a mess. Use a bullet with a big lube grove. I like WW primers. Generally use either 2f or 3f powder. The finer the powder the 'hotter' the loading. I don't know your experience so I'll just say be sure and use a flat point bullet on rounds you use in your rifle.
Use a good crimp, about as heavy as you can get without damaging the case.
Old September 18, 2012, 04:49 PM   #3
rclark

I use Triple-7 (777) 3F. I like it because I can use my 'regular' lubed bullets with it (no need for special lube). Also, I can use my standard powder measure with it (unlike real BP). I like 23g (by 'weight') under 250g RNFP (910fps) which is slightly compressed and seems accurate. Plenty smoke!

One major difference is you must do is clean you cases with hot soapy water when you get home. First, I have a Lee primer punch die (not the resize die) to punch the primers. Then soak. I dry them on a tray in the oven. Clean the case primer pockets of residue. You are now ready to load a new batch! Little more work than normal but fun for the occasional BP mood.

Of course you have to clean you gun too.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; September 20, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old September 19, 2012, 03:35 PM   #4
rajbcpa

Tell me about static charges and kaaabooms that ocurr when using BP.

So I read you cannot use a standard smokeless powder measure because it is not made from copper/brass and the danger is that a static charge could make it go boom.

Can you "earth" ground the metal in the powder measure by using a copper wire that is secured to a cold water pipe in your house to avoid static charges?

Is this a problem that does not have an easy solution?
Old September 19, 2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Don H

Black powder & static electricity: http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_...ks/sparks.html
Old September 21, 2012, 03:58 AM   #6
Sevens

Quote:
One major difference is you must do is clean you cases with hot soapy water when you get home.
Can you go in to more detail on this?
Why must they go the hot, soapy water route? Tumbling simply doesn't work?
Old September 21, 2012, 11:43 AM   #7
rclark

I don't think you want the corrosive residue in your tumbler. That is my simplest answer. Just as you clean your gun with soap&water or with the Murphy mix so should you treat your cases. It is effective in removing most of the grime. You can then tumble if you so desire. Just the way I do it and many other black powder shooters .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 21, 2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Sevens

Oh, I agree -- but I must be confused somewhere. I thought the entire purpose of using Triple-7 is that you don't have all of the nasty, undesirable properties of black powder. It's instability, it's corrosive nature, it's excessive filth, et all.

I was under the impression that Triple-7 was like an advancement of all the things Pyrodex was attempting to address about black powder.

Finding this out is important to me... I'd love to make some .45 Colt handloads that look like black powder with a huge plume of white smoke, all for the fun of it, but I'm not in to alternate cleaning methods, etc etc. For me, it's just unattractive enough to skip the whole project and stick to what I already enjoy.

I had hoped snagging a bottle of Triple-7 would make it so I could "look" like I was shooting black powder... without all the hassles of black powder.
Old September 21, 2012, 04:37 PM   #9
yadkin

Yes but I don't do it to often to much hassle for me with clean up I just shoot C&B but for loading I shoot a 250 gr. LRNFP with 30 or 35 grains of FFF some cartridges in the 19th century were loaded with 40 grains but I found this to be to hot and I read long ago I wish I could remember where that the military didn't like the 40 gr. charge either so they had their rounds loaded to 35 grains, but I have no documents on this load but I do have documents on the 40 gr. charge.