The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 7, 2010, 09:01 PM   #1
poline

Head Stamp!

Does anyone know what the following head stamp in 45 acp means. thanks for all and any response.
[ AP 02 ]
Old September 7, 2010, 09:48 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

For .45 acp I do not worry about headstamp. I have 4 types I sort by.
1. Steel/aluminum cases - those go in the trashcan.
2. Split/badly deformed - those go in the trashcan
3. Small primer - those go in a coffee can for those trips to go plinking, or to the ranges that act like you are stealing if you pick up your own brass.
4. Large primer in reloadable condition - those get sized/decapped, and belled then put in a 5 gal. bucket. Then all I have to do is prime, charge, and seat/crimp.
I have too many other things to do than sort by headstamp. It would take too long to do that with the 3 5 gal. buckets full that I have of it.
Old September 7, 2010, 10:10 PM   #3
poline

Whoa!!!!!!! What is this small primer thing? Are you saying that there is 45acp brass that uses small primer? Can one use small primer in 45 acp?
Can the small primer pocket be enlarge to take Large primers?
Old September 7, 2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Michaelm45

AP 02

Could be Arms Corporation of the Philippines. 02 could be the year.
Yes, some cases use a small primer.
No, they cannot be enlarged.
Old September 8, 2010, 04:36 AM   #5
Shoney

According to the Cartridge Collectors web site which lists known head stamp codes, AP could stand for:

Arms Corporation of the Philippines, Parang, Marikina City, Metro Manila, 1800 Republic of the Philippines (formally Squires Bingham Co.)

or

Unknown Factory, France

The 02 is the year of manufacture.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old September 8, 2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Sevens

There is some Fiochhi head stamped .45 Auto brass that uses a small pistol primer. Also, Win NT (non-toxic) uses a small primer.

I believe they are the scourge of the earth and will cause primer detonation at the bench for any poor soul who has one of these infiltrate their load bench.
Old September 8, 2010, 09:31 AM   #7
demigod

It's ARMOR PIERCING of course!!
Old September 8, 2010, 02:47 PM   #8
m&p45acp10+1

I have found 3 different headstamps with small primer pockets. W-W (Winchester), Blazer Brass, and a few Federal. I can spot them when sorting my brass. I trhow them in a coffee can to the side. I have loaded some of them with standard SP primers for my 200 grain home cast LSWC with Bull's Eye. They shot the same. If you do not shoot anything that uses SP primers you can either scrap them and sell to a recycler, or throw them away.
Old September 8, 2010, 03:59 PM   #9
poline

So, if one had 45acp with small primers [I think I have some by S&B] one would start with the starting low and work up? The large primer just won't phyically fit in the pocket, right???????
Old September 8, 2010, 04:25 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

That's correct. Small primers are used for non-toxic (NT) lead-free loads because the lead styphnate sensitizing compound used in standard primers is replaced in them with ddnt (diazo-dinitro-phenol) which explodes more violently than lead styphnate. As a result of that explosive violence, they need either to reduce the primer compound quantity or widen the flash hole or do both in order to be sure the priming charge doesn't actually blow the primer cup open.

I've never heard of anyone having trouble reloading these, but you obviously do have to segregate them from your normal brass. Personally, I toss them just to prevent a mixup.

There is a good article lead-free ammo and NT primers, here.

This is a link to the Cartridgecollectors.org list of headstamps.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle