The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 27, 2006, 03:23 PM   #1
cdarney

Hunting Load for Savage 99E in .308

I am going to start loading for my 99E in .308. Does anyone have a favorite load for this type of rifle? The loading manuals give lots of choices but I thought perhaps someone else had found a good load that I could use at a starting point.

The load would be for hunting deer (probably largest game) at probably less than 100yds and certainly no more than 200yds.

I've also considered using the rifle to shoot turkeys. Does anyone hunt turkeys with rifle? Do you load lighter?

...Thanks
...Chuck
Old July 27, 2006, 03:49 PM   #2
gb_in_ga

I used to load for my grandfather's Savage 99 in .300 Savage, but that doesn't really help you any.

But I also used to load for my father's (later mine, later had to sell ) Winchester 88 in .308, and that is a fairly similar rifle. It was used to hunt deer in the Tx hill country, where the shots were usually either quite close or between 200 and 300 yards.

Anyway, my "pet" load for the 88 was a 150 gr JSP (Speer or Nosler) and 41 gr of IMR 3031. With that load, I referred to the 88 as my "meat gun" because it would definately put meat on the table.

For the Savage, I'd start by backing off of that load a bit (even though it isn't max), just because I don't know the rifle and have always suspected that the Savage was a bit weaker action than the Winchester.
Old July 27, 2006, 05:40 PM   #3
tINY

30 cal is probably a little big for turkeys. You might be able to get the accelerator shoes that let you shoot .223 bullets form a .308 bore.

Unless you are really worried about the strength of the rifle, or you are bored (or a sadist), you probably should try some comercial loads for deer first. The Federal Fusion line has some nice, consistent deer loads that shoot well out of most rifles I've tried them in.

If you can't get good enough groups with ammo that costs under $15 per box, then you might try working up some loads....

-tINY

Old July 27, 2006, 06:36 PM   #4
HSMITH

Savage chambers, at least in the old m99's, are tighter than most. Make sure you use small base dies.

I would start with Sierra Gamekings, 165's and 180's, and a pound of 4350. Shoot a few work-up loads with each bullet, see which one it likes better and continue with that bullet. Most Savage 99's are a lot more accurate than most people would believe when fed a good load.

For turkeys, shoot them when they are facing right at you, and shoot them square in the breast. Anything else is going to tear up a lot of meat.