The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 2, 2005, 10:23 PM   #1
Ken O

S&W 625 bullet choice

I'm new here, first post. A little into... I'm a gun/competition nut, I've shot IPSC for about 10 years, IDPA about 5 years, Steel Challenge 2 years. In rifle I shoot NRA (XTC and Long Range) and CMP, I shoot Regionals, local mathes and the Nationals at Camp Perry.
OK now the question..In the new "Front Sight" magazine they have an equipment survey for what the competitors used at the Nationals, and in the Revolver class everyone used a 625 (no surprise) most used Federal primers, etc... what surprised me was that all used a 230gr bullet. In the past just about all used the 200gr SWC in the surveys for the .45ACP in the other classes which were dominated by the 1911 which is what I shoot.
My question is there a reason why they use a 230gr bullet? I bought a 625JM to use in the revolver class but will probably shoot just IDPA and Steel Challenge with it. I was thinking of going the other way to a 185gr SWC.
Old November 3, 2005, 06:24 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

revolver mystery solved

Them big ROUND bullets feed best. Best.
Yep.
Old November 3, 2005, 08:21 AM   #3
Jim Watson

Shooting a revolver in IDPA or IPSC is at least partly a reloading contest, kind of like shotgun in 3-gun. Roundnose bullets in moonclips are faster and more reliable than a SWC which can hang up on even a well-chamfered chamber mouth.
Old November 5, 2005, 04:42 AM   #4
ampleworks

Most everyone shooting 625s are shooting 230gr jacketed bullets, federal primers, and VV powder.

The larger jacketed bullets feed better, are cleaner than lead, the same for the powder burning clean, and then even the lightest primer strike should still go off.
Old November 5, 2005, 08:23 PM   #5
Ken O

Thanks Guys, I can see how they would probably reload a little quicker. I probably wont use it for USPSA, Ill stick with just the 1911. It will be great for SC, IDPA and ICORE though.
Old November 11, 2005, 05:25 AM   #6
Lloyd Smale

My 625 was a fussy gun i tried all the 200 swcs trying to get a lighter recoiling load that shot well and nothing would shoot better then 3 inches. I had much better luck with the 230 cast rn bullets especially the seaco. I even tried cutting down the bases of the seaco and lyman round nose to lighten it and they shot like crap. Then a guy on one of the fourms told me the problem with the smiths is the twist rate and that they will always shoot heavier bullets better. Dont know that its fact but it sure works that way in my gun.
Old November 12, 2005, 10:12 PM   #7
Ken O

Lloyd, I'm experimenting right now with different bullets, I am trying a H&G 130 (185 SWC) but drops ACWW at 195gr, also a Lee 200 SWC, but the Lyman 452374 (230 RN) is working out the best so far and drops at a real consistant 232gr. I have some jacketed stuff around I'll try also.