The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2009, 01:17 PM   #1
KC9LDB

9mm, 1st time user HELP!!!

I have a Lee loader (hand) from 1974, everything is here, cept powder and primers. No clue what to use!

The Loader itself

Winchester 115gr bullets

The Chart on how to load it, uses a scoop.

Need major help! I really want to start loading with this loader, I do not want to buy a more advanced one, I figure that is it worked back then, it should work now! I just don't have the money for loaders, Im in college, it is a pain in the wallet! Thanks in advance!
Old February 28, 2009, 02:22 PM   #2
50 shooter

You need small pistol primers, I use Winchester but you can use any type you want or can buy for the cheapest.

As for powder Win. 231 is a good choice and has never given me any problems. 4.5 grains is a decent load and I would seriously advise you to buy a reloading manual.
No time for rearranging.
Old February 28, 2009, 02:29 PM   #3
cgaengineer

Do you have a reloading book?
Old February 28, 2009, 03:54 PM   #4
jtravisbayne

Ditto on the Manual

Like the others said. Get a manual. If money's tight, see if a local library has one. If not, hang out at Barnes and Noble and sip a latte while reading the ABC's of reloading.

I feel your pain. I was too broke in college to mess with anything gun related. Hang in there and be safe.

Travis
Old February 28, 2009, 03:59 PM   #5
KC9LDB

Yeah I can get that, well, what would the power to get for just basic winchester 115gr bullets, those would be all i ever use
Old February 28, 2009, 04:59 PM   #6
Eric M.

You need a powder scale to weigh your powder drops.
I like W-231 powder also, but there is a very narrow window between the starting powder drop and the heaviest powder drop.

With what I see of your reloader, and other things, if I were you, I would buy factory ammo until you are in better shape to upgrade your equipment.
It is hard to reload safely while going cheap with reloading equipment.

Eric
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor 37 yrs
Old February 28, 2009, 05:07 PM   #7
dwhite

You'll need a pair of calipers to set your bullet seater for correct overall cartridge length. Wrong length won't feed in your weapon correctly plus there are pressure issues from seating bullets too deep.

You Lee Loader will get you started but there is better equipment for not a lot more money.

All the Best,
D. White
Old March 2, 2009, 11:41 AM   #8
HJ857

Winchester Super Field is a good 9mm powder to start off with. Lots of space between starting and max loads, so it's forgiving. You can move to a powder that gives you more velocity after you've gotten some experience.
Old March 2, 2009, 01:56 PM   #9
oneounceload

You need a manual, a scale, small pistol primers, and a fast burning powder - there are many. Read the loading manual for powder types and correct load amounts
Old March 2, 2009, 02:14 PM   #10
Mal H
Staff

Always wear eye protection when using a Lee Loader, and ear plugs aren't a bad idea either. Trust me on this.

Now, don't let the above make you paranoid about using it. The Loader's work fine for their intended use, but occasionally a primer will go off for no apparent reason when seating the primer. It won't hurt you if you use the right precautions, but just be aware it might happen. I have never had one go off after it is seated nor have I ever heard of anyone else having this happen, so don't worry at all about that. Be sure to only use a plastic or hard leather mallet, never a metal hammer of any type.

I'll second the vote for good old W231 powder in 9mm.

If you are loading only for plinking/fun loads, you don't absolutely need a scale. The dipper will work ok as Lee always uses a dipper that is way short of the maximum load. If you want to get into more serious loading, a scale is a must.