The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 30, 2000, 11:37 PM   #1
MADISON

I have an early model Ruger Ultra-Lite in 223 that, when you use factory or my 26.5 to 27.5 grains of Winchester 748 the groupe opens up to 3 1/3 inches. I must wait 5 to 6 minutes for the "pencil thin" barrel to cool down.

I got disgusted and started shooting SQUIB loads at a velocity of 1850 feet per second.
Does anybody have any idea how far,in velocity, I can go before the groupe should start to spread?
Old October 1, 2000, 09:12 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sounds like you're getting away from the intended purpose of an ultra light rifle. It's rare that a pencil-thin barrel will hold a tight group for more than two or three rounds.

Your rifle is intended for carrying across country, with only an occasional shot. If the first shot is always to the same point of aim, it's doing a good job.

You might find some improvement by working over the bedding of the fore-end of the stock. If the wood is pressing on the barrel, there will be changes in pressure against the barrel as it heats up.

Free-float the barrel, but with not much clearance at the end of the fore-arm. Make a shim of kitchen waxpaper, where a five-pound pull will allow it to be inserted out at the end of the fore-arm. I have found that acts as a damper, as a "shock absorber", and invariably have been able to improve my groups.

Hope this helps, Art