The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 10, 2000, 01:02 AM   #1
Harlequin

i've got a few questions for you US guys as i am moving to the states in late march/early april to move together with my girlfriend

i have two guns wich of one is issued from the army (an mp5a3) and a pistol (a mk23)

my question is this..
as i will probably move to the states for good (we are concidering marriage)and i would like to bring my guns to the states if i can,and i will not feel too comfortable in leaving my guns where i presently live, or with friends/military contacts and so forth...
i am aware that to own an mp5 with selective fire in the states you have to be a class III collector/dealer (or something like that) and i have no intentions of giving up my citizenship in my native country just yet
what kind of options do i have other than selling/transferring ownership??

and what are the regulations on mags/silencers/tac-lights... i have silencers and lights for both weapons, and the have full size factory/military mags on both weapons...
(and yes, silencers are legal to own as a civillian in my country with the correct military background )

for my last ignorant question, will military background help/impede any aplication from me to purchase a handgun in the US??
(i'm a H&K buff... would like to purchase a USP.40)

thank you
Old February 10, 2000, 05:30 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

First off, to purchase a gun in the US, you have to be a citizen or a permanent resident, that is not be in the country on a tourist or student visa.

Second, you will not be able to bring the auto weapon into the U.S., period. The 1986 law prohibits manufacture or importation of auto weapons for anyone but the military and police. Auto weapons can still be legally owned and transferred but with a tax of $200 on each transfer and no more to be made, prices have gone quite high.

On the silencers, I am not sure. I believe they can be imported only by a licensed importer and they also can be transferred only on payment of the $200 tax.

Handguns can be brought in by legal owners, but it is one heck of a hassle. Your military background or previous experience will make no difference whatsoever.

Actually, your best bet is to sell the guns there and then buy a handgun here after you settle in. You can even buy one of the limited number of auto weapons, but it will cost.

Obviously, I don't recommend trying to smuggle the guns into the country. With the terrorism scare, that sort of thing is becoming very difficult and would guarantee jail time if caught.

Jim
Old February 10, 2000, 06:21 AM   #3
Harlequin

hehe.. well, i am not quite stupid enough to try to smuggle any weapon at all, but anyway, thanks for the info... sucks that i have to sell the weapons though..
Old February 10, 2000, 09:33 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Just to add to Jim's post. Your being able to buy a full auto and/or suppressor is dependant upon which state here you settle in. Some states (such as Illinois) don't allow civilians to own any class III (full auto, suppressors or destructive devices). Some states allow one or another but not all (Missouri allows full auto but no suppressors). Some states allow all class three (Nevada etc).
As a very general rule the farther west and/south you go, the more freedom allowed in ownership until you hit the PRK.