The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 2, 2016, 01:00 AM   #1
Hunter1994

Help! stuck between Glock 17 and 21 gen 4's

I am currently stuck between a Glock 17 and 21 gen 4 and only have the funds for one right now (plus a good set of night sights and other things I prefer on my handguns). I recently got rid of my M&P .40 because I want to stick with more standard pressure loads. I do not want to start a caliber war but I am very impressed with modern 9mm loadings and I edc a G19.

This gun will be used for home defense, woods carry (I live in Ga so nothing too crazy), range use, training and shtf. I have never owned a 45 and have been debating it for awhile but have been a bit turned off by higher ammo prices (I am a college student with full time job but don't want to be spending all my money on .45 ammo because I shoot often)

I just wanted to get as many opinions as I can on which I should choose. I love the modern 9mm ballistics, capacity, light recoil, avalability (NATO cartridge) and cost effectiveness but I feel like I would be splitting hairs getting a slightly larger 17 when I have a 19. I know the 21 is a sweet shooting gun and I think the .45 is a good round as well. Is it worth the extra money to pick up a .45?

Looking forward to hearing everyone's opinions. Thanks again,
-Hunter

Last edited by Hunter1994; January 2, 2016 at 01:11 AM.
Old January 2, 2016, 01:03 AM   #2
TunnelRat

Given that you have and like the G19, I personally don't see the point in getting a G17. That said make sure the G21 fits your hands well as its frame is noticeably larger in the hand than the G19.
Old January 2, 2016, 01:06 AM   #3
Hunter1994

TunnelRat,

I was thinking the exact same thing although I wouldn't mind having a full sized 9mm either.

I know the 21 is larger and have handled a few. The gen 3 is big but the sf and gen 4 fit a lot better. As I said before I would be going gen 4.

Thanks!

Last edited by Hunter1994; January 2, 2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old January 2, 2016, 01:22 AM   #4
JDBerg

I have a Gen4 Glock 21 and I recommend it for your intended purpose very highly. It shoots anything you load it with very nicely!
Old January 2, 2016, 04:12 AM   #5
TMD

Quote:
I recently got rid of my M&P .40 because I want to stick with more standard pressure loads.
Same pressure as a 9mm. Less pressure than 9mm+P and 9mm Nato
Old January 2, 2016, 08:33 AM   #6
geetarman

Given you have the G19 and like it, I think I would recommend the G21. I have both and the G21 was my first Glock. It is a very soft shooting gun and as accurate as you are. It IS big though. Mine seems huge but it really does shoot well.

Carpe Cerveza
Old January 4, 2016, 05:15 AM   #7
chris in va

If you're stuck on Glock...

I had a 21 SF for a time and while it was dead reliable, the grip angle, mush trigger and aircraft carrier wide slide really turned me off to ever getting another.

That being said, a friend of mine bought the new model 41. Longer, thinner slide with arguably better trigger than my 21 had. Grip angle still sucks but felt easier to hit what I aimed at.

I think you can do better than Glock though.
Old January 4, 2016, 05:51 AM   #8
Nathan

I would consider the Glock 41 in 45 as the slide is more narrow. I think instead of the 17, I would look at the g35 or whatever the long slide 9 is...
Old January 4, 2016, 05:11 PM   #9
Limnophile

As you've discovered, one pistol is not enough, and it's a good bet that two aren't going to be enough, either. Given your financial situation, I'd get the G17, because you'll be able to shoot it much more. You won't have to shop or stockpile different calibers yet. There is plenty of time to do that after you graduate and land a good job. Until then you can plan your future handgun collection.

Tags
.45 , 9mm , glock 17 , glock 19 gen 4 , glock 21