The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 29, 2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Gabe1519

IMR 4320 and HDY 55gr. SP load data?

I went to 10-ring the other day and skimmed through the Hornady load manual for some bullets and powder. I accidentally picked my supplies based on the 222 Magnum instead of 223 Remington . Needless to say I'm in search of the right data. Anyone have data for this combination? Speer data starts their 55g SP bullet at 23.5 grains of the same powder so I think I may have to start there with the Hornady bullets. IMR doesnt really provide much info. on 55gr. Hornady bullets. Next time I'll pick the Speer SP bullets since I have the data for that setup. Thanks in advance!
Old December 29, 2013, 07:17 PM   #2
2ndtimer

I have never used IMR-4320, but I have loaded 55 gr bullets from Hornady, Winchester, Remington, Speer, Nosler, Sierra and Berger, and I have never noticed any particular difference in loading data. The old mantra, start low and work up gradually watching for pressure signs always applies. When you reach the accuracy level you desire and the velocity is acceptable, you are done. If you don't, it is time to try another powder or bullet and start over. Have fun.
Old December 29, 2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Gabe1519

Thanks!