The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 19, 2013, 11:02 AM   #1
Mr Budha

So I need some help finding a .44 Magnum to Trade

So long story short my boss has a stainless Colt Model 80 1911 that I am trying to get him to sell to me. He said he might be willing to sell it to me but he was unsure. Then yesterday he called me and said that he would be interested in a trade for a .44 Magnum.

He told me that it could be worth less than the 1911 (he would give a good deal regardless, he's a nice guy who has a TON of guns including 3 Colt 1911's).

So, being that I don't know the first thing about .44 mag revolvers on the market I'm turning to you guys for some ideas. Is there any .44 mag under or around $600? Maybe something used around that price (or cheaper :P).

I want to get him a good gun that isn't worth as much as the Colt but still a good trade. Thanks!!
Old March 19, 2013, 11:13 AM   #2
NWPilgrim

So I need some help finding a .44 Magnum to Trade

You might find a used Ruger Super Blackhawk (single action) for that. I would check around locally and see what you can find in new and used Super Blackhawk and Ruger Redhawk (double action).
Old March 19, 2013, 04:04 PM   #3
buck460XVR

Instead of asking us, I think you need to ask your boss what .44 he would like. Stainless? What length barrel? DA or SA? Does he have a preference to brand? Some folks dislike the S&W IL and some hate the looks of Rugers. Since he's a Colt 1911 fan, he does have taste.

Since you admit to knowing very little about revolvers, making sure a used one ain't a lemon could be tough. Due to the frenzy right now, used entry level Colt Stainless Series 80s right now, if you can find them, are going for almost MSRP of new, which is close to $1000. Folks are askin $200-$300 over MSRP for new. I'm seein' a similar trend for revolvers. Everything is sky high. Instead of overpayin' for a gun and hope it's what your boss wants, I myself would try to get a price from your boss and buy the gun outright......or at least get more specifics on what he might want.
Old March 20, 2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Mr Budha

Thanks, that is sound advice, I'm gonna try and get him to give me a cash price at some point down the road. Worst case I'll pick up a Ruger 1911
Old March 21, 2013, 08:39 PM   #5
PatientWolf

If your "worst case" is an SR1911, life is good!