The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 8, 2011, 10:27 PM   #1
Ignition Override

What rifles do most LEOs prefer to have onboard?

This idea is borrowed (stolen) from the general handgun forum.

Some departments allow a personal choice, but I have no idea how common this is.

Last edited by Ignition Override; February 8, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old February 9, 2011, 12:51 AM   #2
m17s_guy

http://colt.com/law/m4.asp says it all! This is the basic frame my dept uses with some nice eotech optics and though I'm not sure on the brand, it has a foregrip that snaps out into a 9 inch bipod with a quick grip and twist. I'm sure that they have done some smithing as well, because the trigger pull is the smoothest/lightest I've ever felt, and they are tack drivers at 100 yards.

Now the tri-county swat team uses the larger 16.5 or 20 inch colt models for their sharpshooters I thinkchambered in .308(could be wrong on that though)
Old February 9, 2011, 01:11 AM   #3
ChileVerde1

USBP issues the colt M4 A3 select fire carbine 14.5" barrel with either 1:9 or 1:7 twist on the newer ones. The newer ones they have at the academy have a heavier 1:7 barrel that still maintains the M4 contour. I believe it's a package from Knights Armament. At my station we have our choice of Eotechs or ACOG's, with some Aimpoints scattered around as well. We shoot the excellent Speer 62gr JSP. Our mags vary depending on what our PFI buys for the FY. Lately its been the steel HK's but they break and ding up too easily so we're probably going to Magpulls, Brownells, or straight GI's with anti-tilt followers. The M4 is now considered by most our primary weapon, which is a big change in the culture from the time I started!
Old February 9, 2011, 01:36 AM   #4
trooper3385

Texas DPS, we are carrying the Bushmaster M4's with the 64 gr Winchester Ranger JSP ammo. Eotech halo sights on top with a surefire light mounted on the handguard. We are also changing over to the Mossberg shotguns from the old Remington 870's we had before. 000 buckshot and slugs.
Old February 9, 2011, 03:25 AM   #5
Powderman

I will say definitely the AR15/M4 carbine platform. Our department issues the Armalite M15A4, which is a heavy barreled 16" carbine. However, we are allowed personal choices; one guy I know carries a Bushmaster carbine; I use a Colt 6920.