The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 2, 2010, 12:30 PM   #1
LordTio3

Chief's Special IDPA Loadout

I've shot IDPA in Indiana and Ohio a handfull of times and my wife with her new CCW has agreed to give it a shot.

I shoot with a stock Glock 19 (CCW weapon) in my carry IWB rig under a t-shirt or jacket at 5 o'clock, and a spare mag held horizontally on my belt at 7:30. If I need a third, it's in my left pocket.

My wife carries a S&W 637 Airweight 38.spl in her purse. It's a large purse (about the size of a shoebox) with a compartment specially dedicated for her weapon. In this compartment, she's got 5 little straps that are meant to hold makeup pencils or something that fit 38 special rounds very nicely, so that's where she keeps 5 extra rounds. She likes her loadout and she doesn't want to change it.

We've been talking about how she should compete. She wants a belt holster for the weapon with loose rounds in her other pocket and says, "That'll be fine." I've told her that since she carries it in her purse, she should begin shooting by drawing from her purse. I also want to get her some Speed Strips for reloads at the very least so that she isn't bumbling with loose ammo.

So, what do you think? Shoot with a holster and just go for situational training and hope that it transfers if she ever has to go from the purse? Bring the purse? How many people use loose ammo for revolvers? (I've never shot revolver IDPA) Is there something else I haven't thought of that I should consider?

Thanks for the advice all.

~LT
Old December 2, 2010, 12:48 PM   #2
RickB

I have yet to see anyone have a pleasant/successful experience shooting IDPA with a 5-shot revolver. While courses of fire are expected to be "revolver neutral", it assumes six-round capacity. And, if you have an 18-round course of fire (some clubs appear to run nothing but), you will find ammo management very difficult (twenty total rounds available, with reloads every five shots, regardless of where/when you might want to reload). Not what I'd recommend for a new shooter.
Edit: Drawing from the purse won't be allowed. We have allowed drawing from fanny packs in the appendix position, but IDPA is a strong-side-hip-holster sport.
Old December 2, 2010, 01:21 PM   #3
LordTio3

Quote:
Edit: Drawing from the purse won't be allowed. We have allowed drawing from fanny packs in the appendix position, but IDPA is a strong-side-hip-holster sport.
I suspected that this may be the case. So we'll have to get her a strong side holster. She's not new to shooting by any means. She's shot plenty of different platforms and calibers; but always on the line where you can take your time and are never in a hurry to shoot or reload. What she hasn't ever done is be forced to move from cover to cover, shooting to empty, reloading, and trying to be quick while doing it.

I recommended IDPA with her gun for a few reasons.
1. I want her to realize everything that is involved in a SD situation (MOVEMENT, cover, loading/reloading, draw, shot cadence, breathing, etc...) instead of just standing on a line shooting at paper.
2. I want her to shoot 5, then reload, shoot 5 then reload, shoot 5 then reload, etc... so that it REALLY digs in deep that she's ONLY got 5 shots in her carry weapon before she's got to take several seconds to reload; and how extremely limiting that is. Repitition will really drive that home.
3. I want her to really test her equipment and loadout. I'm almost positive that after the day is over, she'll be completely done with that "Oh, I'll be fine doing it this way" mentality.

So any other advice on doing a match with this little guy would get Greatly appreciated.

~LT
Old December 2, 2010, 03:43 PM   #4
RickB

Quote:
I'm almost positive that after the day is over, she'll be completely done with that "Oh, I'll be fine doing it this way" mentality.
I suspect she'll be completely done with more than that! Seriously. Courses of fire will have requirements like engaging three targets on the way to cover, two each; with a five-shot gun, it can't be done. She may have to reload and fire one round to complete a 6-round engagement, then have to pocket four rounds in a reload that nets only one more round, because the next array can't be completed with four. A tactical reload calls for "putting the whole mess" (live and spent rounds) in the pocket, and if a further reload is required, picking-out the live rounds from among the spent cases. It certainly can be done, but it's very slow and more than a little frustrating. I wouldn't want to introduce someone to IDPA with those limitations.
Old January 1, 2011, 07:42 PM   #5
HeadHunter

I usually carry a J-frame so I shoot IDPA with a 2" K-frame for all the reasons discussed above. In addition, most outdoor matches will run 80-100 rounds; putting that through an Airweight J-frame is more than most people will enjoy or even be able to tolerate. That's especially true with power factor ammo, which has to be low end +P.

Here's a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yT2jHHKnG4

"You can't go as deep [in] training as in a race or a fight. If you don't compete it's easy to convince yourself you're going hard. You're not." — Mark Twight

Tags
idpa , purse , revolver , speed , strip