The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 4, 1998, 04:39 PM   #1
Lawrence Keeney

Ok
I've got a Winchester 1300 defender ,8 shots,18 inch bbl.I'd like to improve it,maybe making it into a decent slug type tactical gun for the possibile y2k unpleasantness.

It's pretty much stock, with the exception of sling swivels. With a budget of say 250 bucks,what would you folks suggest I do to improve it? Now before you say sell it and get an 870,I don't want to.I used it to dissuade a rather irate dude from doing me harm once,so it has sentimental value.

What do you think?

Lawrence Keeney
Old November 4, 1998, 05:58 PM   #2
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Lawrence,

The bulk of my budget would probably go for a Surefire. I am not sure if the have a Defender replacement fore-end light or not. The sidesaddle will only run you $20 or so, or you could go really cheap and just slip on a butt cuff. I would probably install either a ghost ring, or a decent, inexpensive set of pistol sights and a sling as well.
Old November 4, 1998, 06:00 PM   #3
Rob Pincus

Bandolier Sling. Some type of folding stock. Ghost rings with tritium dot from site.
Old November 4, 1998, 06:21 PM   #4
Don R

Nah, don't get a bandolier sling, they slap around too much, just when it seems you need to be steady and on target too! A 50-55 round over the shoulder bandolier is an excellant accessory though!

Lawrence,

Dump the whole $250.00 if you have to and have Ghost Ring Sights put on it. It should not cost that much, but if it did, so be it! I think they are that important.

Assuming you have some money left over, a Sidesaddle would be nice as well as a cheekpiece/shell holder made by Eagle. It all depends on how heavy you want the shotgun to be, you have 8-9 rounds in it, 6 in a sidesaddle and 5-6 in the Eagle-thing, it could get pretty heavy, but that is for you to decide. That is abouit the best way to have "On-Board" Buckshot & Slugs...

The SureFire can sure be an advantage sometimes, but I would opt for the Ghost Ring Sight first off...
Old November 4, 1998, 06:48 PM   #5
Lawrence Keeney

They do in fact make a surefire forend and
light for the defender.It's about 149.00

As for the ghost ring sights,where might I find them,and how much for the whole thing?
front and rear sights I mean.

Lawrence
Old November 4, 1998, 08:05 PM   #6
Marcus

Brownells (515-623-5401) has Sage International Ghostring sight sets with a front tritium dot for $121. They`re fully adjustable and available with or without sight wings for the same price. Hope this helps. Marcus
Old November 4, 1998, 09:43 PM   #7
Rob Pincus

If you are going to do night sights and ghost rings, I highly recomend the stock, even if it is folding. I have played around with a lot of pistol grip only shotguns, I even have a defender, I have once or twice gotten a good shot in the nose trying to do aimed fire with the.