The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 19, 2009, 03:08 PM   #1
nitrohead

Yugo M48 ID help

I just bought a Yugo M48 for $125, and was wondering if anyone could help me get some info. All numbers match, on the right side of the barrel are W 15506, and has a stamped magazine plate, but other than that, there are no other markings. The stock has been run through the ringer, but I think I can repair and refinish it. I would mainly like to find out year of manufacture. I could post pics, but there isn't really anything to take a pic of.
Old September 19, 2009, 03:36 PM   #2
flippycat

Quote:
All Yugoslavian Mauser rifles bearing 'M-48' markings were made in Yugoslavia at the Preduzece 44 (Zastava) factory.
http://www.marstar.ca/Y-E-48+.htm Lots of good info about your rifle here.
Old September 20, 2009, 01:28 PM   #3
CGSteve8718

If it has no crest, and the magazine floorplate is stamped (among other parts), then it is probably an M48BO.

That designation is for rifles that were manufactured without the Yugoslavian crest like the other models and were intended for export as clandestine foreign military aid. Supposedly, Syria and I think Egypt and Iraq had contracts for these.

I have an M48BO but I don't think it ever made it out of Yugoslavia for the above stated purpose, as it has a Serb crest carved into the stock. I'm pretty sure it was used in the Balkan conflict due to that carving alone. It seems that all sides in that conflict produced all manner of trench art on everything, especially the Yugoslavian AK and AKM variants and their magazines.