The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 19, 2015, 06:38 AM   #51
upstate81

Eastbank, i agree with you on the remington pump rifles. I have a 3006 chambered gun that i shot my second buck with. Has some very elegant wood and blueing. Fast shots are great on deer drives and is plenty accurate (normally 1.5 inch at 100 with win. power points) when i do my part. Not to mention how much easier it is to scope and doesnt loose its handling or maneuverability like a lever action when scoped. However the savage 99 carries with a scope quite nicely especially a weaver k4.
Old June 19, 2015, 07:05 AM   #52
mehavey

The Savage 99 is an elegantly lethal lady wearing a classic little black dress.
(as compared to the Marlin as a great broad who is all she appears to be.)

Audrey Hepburn v Bette Midler
Old June 19, 2015, 10:18 AM   #53
stubbicatt

Mostly I enjoy plinking from my hind legs. For that I really enjoy my 1873 Uberti in 357 magnum.

For shooting from prone, I prefer bolt actioned rifles, as they are easier to shoot in that position.

For some reason, psychological no doubt, I find that I tend to take a little more care in shot execution with bolt or lever rifles than I tend to do for semi autos. Perhaps that is the same reason I find my bolt rifles to be a bit more accurate than my "shell shuckers."

I have not tried any of the more modern lever actions, which feed from a vertical magazine. They might be swell also.
Old June 19, 2015, 05:44 PM   #54
osbornk

Regardless of the merits, to me, a lever is more fun and that is why I shoot.
Old June 19, 2015, 07:00 PM   #55
eastbank

as long as you are shooting,thats what counts. i like to spend a afternoon shooting a repo .58 civil war rifle in a local querry shooting at large rocks out to 400yrs with mini balls. i don,t hit that meny, but i don,t give a s*it as i,m having a blast. eastbank.
Old June 19, 2015, 07:40 PM   #56
Tony Z

Has already been said, but I'll say it again: all my favorite guns are lever actions!
Old June 19, 2015, 07:48 PM   #57
AK103K

Hey, I like the levers too. I like shooting any and all of them.

I just consider the lever guns to be more range toys than something serious. Other, better choices for that.
Old July 18, 2015, 04:52 PM   #58
orchemo

Lever

When I lived on my rural property we had a few Cougars around. Being western oregon, range across the meadow was about 70 yds. I kept an old Winchester 30-30 in the front closet for predator control.

Could be better options but the lever never let me down. Simple and easy

Now days for close up black bear hunting, I have a Winchester Big Bore in 375 Win. Nice rifle but the old 30-30 has a long legacy.
Old July 19, 2015, 08:42 AM   #59
Husqvarna

9/10 i grab ny blr when goin huntin

Carries so much better

And they give you a smile when shooting so you shot more.

Shooting my bolts is great but it is more longrange stuff

Hunting with levers is more pure hunting
Old July 19, 2015, 10:57 AM   #60
44 AMP
Staff

This is about opinions, and while everyone's opinions are completely valid, for them, a lot is being said here about entire classes of rifles, based on a single example of the type. And that, essentially makes them of little value, other than as they pertain to the specific rifle used as the example.

Light weight pistol caliber carbine lever guns are one example. Very fine guns for a lot of things, but don't imply ALL lever guns are like that, because they aren't.

The same goes for bolt actions, one example of the class does not even begin to cover the entire range.

I have personal experience with Winchester, Marlin, Savage and Browning lever guns, ranging from .22 to .45 cal. Tube fed and box mag fed.

Bolt guns from .22RF to .458 Win mag. Mauser, Remington, Ruger, Winchester, Springlfield, Krag, Arisaka, Schmidt Rubin, Moisin Nagant, Lee Enfield, and others.

The only thing they all have in common is a bolt action has a bolt handle, and a lever action has a lever.

If you are going to make comparisons, you have to stick to roughly comparable things.

A Browning BL-22 (one of the fastest lever guns ever made) compared to a Winchester M70 .458 Win Mag is a lever to bolt comparison, but the only valid conclusion from that is they both shoot.
Old July 19, 2015, 01:12 PM   #61
stagpanther

I said levers are sexier than bolts--and still think that's true. : )
Old July 20, 2015, 05:51 AM   #62
stubbicatt

I dunno. I recently acquired an 1888 manufactured Winchester Single Shot Rifle in 45-70 which, in my eye at least, is the ideal "crossover." Robust action/receiver, short lever that does not foul the ground in prone, chambered for a neat period cartridge, with a single set trigger. Too bad about that recoil!

I've seen fellas get some pretty stellar accuracy out of these old rifles loaded with the "holy black", rivaling many bolt actioned rifles, and while I am unaware of any particular tests, I suspect JMB's first patent long gun action is as strong, or stronger, than 2 lug, turn bolt actions commonly available.

To my way of seeing things, it is an attractive piece with a reputation for good accuracy, with a genuine antique provenance, that can still be enjoyed in the 21st century.
Old July 20, 2015, 12:35 PM   #63
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I suspect JMB's first patent long gun action is as strong, or stronger, than 2 lug, turn bolt actions commonly available.
Possibly, other than the steel its made from, which might be the deciding factor.

Guns like the Winchester Hi Wall /low wall, and the modern Browning B78 and the Ruger No1s and No. 3s are usually classed as single shots, but they are actually lever action. The action is operated by a lever.
Old July 22, 2015, 01:46 PM   #64
GeauxTide

Browning BLR

Get the best of both worlds. BLR can be had in long or short action, 243 to Magnum. For your use, a 243 would be dandy. Short barrel, mild cartridge, and effective up to deer. I'm not much on rifles for home defense because of penetration.
Old July 22, 2015, 02:34 PM   #65
ssn vet

I never saw anyone attempt to build a lever gun around the Win 300 Mag. or .338 Lapua cartridges.... and I never saw anyone compete in a long range shooting event with a lever action rifle.

Now I wonder why that is??

Old July 22, 2015, 02:39 PM   #66
emcon5

Quote:
I never saw anyone compete in a long range shooting event with a lever action rifle.
I have.
Old July 23, 2015, 07:01 AM   #67
upstate81

Curious on the outcome of that match?
Old July 23, 2015, 07:12 AM   #68
j102

I have both, and each type has its purpose. I enjoy lever actions much more.
Old July 23, 2015, 07:35 AM   #69
stagpanther

I never saw John Wayne in a western using an M1--what's up with that?
Old July 23, 2015, 09:44 AM   #70
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
and I never saw anyone compete in a long range shooting event with a lever action rifle.
Cowboy side matches...depending on your definition of long range.

I've never seen anyone compete in a stock car race driving a 3/4 ton pickup truck. Your point is ?????
Old July 24, 2015, 03:53 PM   #71
gb_in_ga

Ok, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I am an obligate southpaw, and I thus loathe using right handed bolt action rifles, they are just backwards for me. Since left handed bolts aren't all that common, I grew up using autoloaders and lever actions. Since I don't particularly need the extra power/range that bolt actions bring to the table, I find that lever actions fill the bill for me.
Old July 25, 2015, 09:30 AM   #72
The Big D

Outside 200 yards, you'll have a lot more luck with a bolt than with a lever. Higher BC bullets + faster muzzle velocities equals flatter trajectories with far less windage. Windage is what causes misses for competent shooters at long range.

Inside 200 yards, levers with tubular magazines are flat out better for all serious applications. They're about twice as fast, tend to have cartridges with better terminal ballistics, and their downsides in terms of accuracy, lower peak pressure and allowable bolt thrust don't really come into play.

It's worth noting the VAST majority of rifle work occurs inside 200 yards.

Last edited by The Big D; July 25, 2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old July 25, 2015, 10:20 AM   #73
emcon5

Quote:
tend to have cartridges with better terminal ballistics
(citation needed).
Old July 25, 2015, 10:50 AM   #74
The Big D

No citation needed. Big bore cartridges and flat point bullets (especially wide mepalts with sharp corners) have better terminal ballistics than spire points and round noses.

In other words, there's a VERY good reason they won't let you hunt cape buffalo with a .338 Lapua even though there's plenty of case capacity & energy there.

Last edited by The Big D; July 25, 2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old July 25, 2015, 12:40 PM   #75
emcon5

What cartridges are you talking about? The only "big bore" tube magazine lever guns I have ever seen are .45-70, .444 Marlin or .45 LC. While the first 2 are certainly hard hitting, the vast majority of tube-mag lever guns are NOT either of those two calibers, but good-old .30-30WCF. You got me curious, so I looked at the lever action rifles category on Gunbroker, filtering by cartridge, there are currently 154 guns available in .30-30, 17 in .35 Rem, 22 in .45-70 and 3 in .444 Marlin.

So lever action tube magazine guns "tend to be" .30-30, which by no stretch of the imagination has "better terminal ballistics" than damn near any .30 centerfire rifle cartridge designed since the Spanish–American War.

Equal terminal ballistics maybe, to some, certainly adequate for 200 yard deer hunting, but no way "better".

To make the claim that tube-mag lever guns "tend to have cartridges with better terminal ballistics" is absurd.