The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 26, 2012, 03:52 PM   #1
manta49

Effectiveness of the .45 caliber. And some of the Myths.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZInsHI-TnA

A video showing some of the rubbish from so called experts regards the .45 caliber round.
I have no doubt the .45 is a effective round but the video shows some of the rubbish that is talked about it.

Fast forward to the part about the colt .45.

Last edited by manta49; August 26, 2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old August 26, 2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

Didn't watch the whole thing yet. Got past the PC BS at the begining, and jumped to the 1911. WOW, all I have to do to stop a raging two huindred pound man is hit him anywhere but his hands with a 45ACP. Amazing firepower!!!

Think I'll stick with practicing accurate shooting to have the best chance of hitting an assailant in center mass!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 26, 2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Clifford L. Hughes

Manta 49:

Let me share what my Smith & Wesson modle 625 shooting a 200 grain Hornady XTP bullet and 45 acp brass. I was hunting pigs with dogs so my shot was at point blank range. The bullet hit the pig's neck just in fornt of the shoulder and it traveled diagonaly about twelve inches through the neck and lodged behind the off ear and just behind the jaw bone. The bullet took out about three inches of neck bone on its travel. I'll take the 45 acp for self defence any time.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old August 26, 2012, 05:16 PM   #4
PawPaw

I don't have a problem using a .45 for self-defense, and I didn't watch the video. The .45 ACP has been getting it done for a hundred years and it's still getting it done. The better bullets we've seen manufactured in the last 10 years make marginal calibers much better and they increase the effectiveness of the .45 ACP by the same amount. Of course, as in all shooting, bullet placement is paramount, but if I've got to shoot someone, I'd just as soon shoot him with a .45.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 26, 2012, 05:21 PM   #5
manta49

Clifford L. Hughes. Quote.

Let me share what my Smith & Wesson modle 625 shooting a 200 grain Hornady XTP bullet and 45 acp brass. I was hunting pigs with dogs so my shot was at point blank range. The bullet hit the pig's neck just in fornt of the shoulder and it traveled diagonaly about twelve inches through the neck and lodged behind the off ear and just behind the jaw bone. The bullet took out about three inches of neck bone on its travel. I'll take the 45 acp for self defence any time.

I think you are missing the point. The post is not about the effectiveness of the .45 round. (Its not a caliber war and in don't want it to turn into one). I said at the start of the post that ( i had no doubt the .45 was an effective round). The post is about some of the BS out there about the round by so called experts.
Old August 26, 2012, 05:32 PM   #6
qqq1

Good video. From what you said I thought it was going to be all about the 45acp cartridge. It's only talked about for a couple minutes. I agree, it's not a magic bullet, but the point is a 45 is a lot more likely to stop someone with a non critical hit than a smaller bullet is.

"Walther showed off his PP." I get yelled at when I try that.
Old August 26, 2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Themountainman

Hand guns are poor man stopers at best. But a good rifle is hard to carry all the time unless your on a battle field.
Old August 26, 2012, 07:50 PM   #8
platform

Quote:
Good video. From what you said I thought it was going to be all about the 45acp cartridge. It's only talked about for a couple minutes. I agree, it's not a magic bullet, but the point is a 45 is a lot more likely to stop someone with a non critical hit than a smaller bullet is.
The .45 vs other stoppage advantage is not that certain -- because only a direct hit to very small and deep vital organs will cause immediate stoppage.

paraphrasing this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=tku8YI68-JA#!
  1. 6 out of 7 hand gun shot victims -- survive.
  2. Primary cause of death is bleeding.
  3. In 11 minute about 8 litters of blood is lost in the case mentioned on the video (from a .357 magnum chest gun shot wound (which also did not exit wound)

4. Only the combination of penetration and placement to hit the very few and rather small vital organs -- is what makes the injury immediately fatal (brain steam, aorta, and I assume, heart).
  5. every minute after a gun shot without being treated for blood loss increases the chances of fatality by 0.3%, therefore immediate medical attention (to stop bleeding, typically by surgery) is absolutely required to get effective treatment.
  6. unless there is a evidence of brain injury, the right strategy is to lower the blood pressure as soon as possible (to reduce the speed of blood loss)
Old August 26, 2012, 07:56 PM   #9
JimPage

A good expanding bullet that makes a big hole will lower blood pressure pretty fast

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old August 26, 2012, 07:56 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

At least the "expert" didn't say "knock down" power. that myth still floats around quite often.
Old August 26, 2012, 08:01 PM   #11
comn-cents

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dA36NYLqns

I tend to follow this train of thought.
Old August 26, 2012, 08:18 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
At least the "expert" didn't say "knock down" power.
He did use "stopping power," which I find nearly as offensive.

The segment on the 1911 begins around 22 minutes.
Old August 26, 2012, 08:26 PM   #13
platform

Quote:
A good expanding bullet that makes a big hole will lower blood pressure pretty fast
But this does not do much for the immediate stop of the assailant.
In other words, the fatality from the blood loss of an expanded 9mm bullet vs expanded .45 bullet would not be effectively different for the self-defense scenario.
Old August 26, 2012, 09:01 PM   #14
Sport45

Quote:
In 11 minute about 8 litters of blood is lost in the case mentioned on the video (from a .357 magnum chest gun shot wound (which also did not exit wound)
That's a lot of blood loss considering the average adult has less than 6 liters to start with.
Old August 26, 2012, 09:12 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Quote:
He did use "stopping power," which I find nearly as offensive.
Agreed, nearly. I guess the argument could be made that the 45 ACP has more power to stop a threat than say, a 32 ACP. But that whole "knock down" power claim just plane leaves me laughing!
Old August 26, 2012, 09:12 PM   #16
Super Sneaky Steve

According to this video the .45 ACP sucks and can't kill a hog even with 9 shots.

http://youtu.be/MH5jUpckbj4

Last edited by Super Sneaky Steve; August 27, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old August 26, 2012, 09:16 PM   #17
Cheapshooter

Quote:
According to this video the .45 ACP sucks and can't kill a hot even with 9 shots.

http://youtu.be/MH5jUpckbj4
Old August 26, 2012, 09:26 PM   #18
KyJim

Much like the sound of racking a 12 gauge pump shotgun, the mere sight of the business end of a .45 ACP barrel is enough to make weak men swoon and strong men weep. A 1911 helped clean the trenches out in WWI and was used by Sgt. York to capture a thousand German soldiers who surrendered as soon as they saw the doughboy pull out his 1911. Captain America used his 1911 in WWII to battle and defeat super Nazi villains. It stopped the Communist hordes invading South Korea and was used by the Tunnel Rats in Vietnam to clean out the tunnels. King Tupperware himself, Gaston Glock, acknowledged the potency and superiority of the .45 ACP by trying to mimic its ballistics with the .45 GAP.

To all those who disbelieve, BE WARNED! . . . You too will quake when you run into this guy and his .45 acp 1911:

Sorry. I just couldn't resist. I love the .45 acp and 1911s but when the one "expert" says a shot anywhere but in the hands will stop a pumped up, 200 pound bad guy, I just couldn't resist.
Old August 26, 2012, 09:38 PM   #19
Cheapshooter

KyJim, I don't think this tread was meant as saying the 45 ACP isn't an excellent SD round. That is a given with most everybody. the point was the false impression that as the "expert" in the video said. His claim that a 200 pound, raging attacker could be stopped with a hit anywhere on the body except the hands is just plane fantasy. It would be the same fantasy if it were said about the 10MM, or 44 Magnum. That just isn't the physics of stopping an attacker.
BTW, one of my CCW firearms is a Colt 1991A1 45 ACP Compact.
Old August 26, 2012, 09:41 PM   #20
Cheapshooter

OH, you got it. Sorry, I didn't see the last sentence under the pic. Or the firmly planted tongue in your cheek!
Old August 26, 2012, 10:15 PM   #21
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
It would be the same fantasy if it were said about the 10MM
Now, now, let's not say things we don't mean in haste

Honestly, I'll give as much creedence to a self-appointed expert on the television as I would to one on the internet. Is the .45 ACP an effective self-defense load? Yes, if I do my part.

Will it send a man into orbit if he's struck in the elbow by one? Statistically unlikely.
Old August 26, 2012, 11:04 PM   #22
platform

Sport45 you are correct
I checked again the video, they have a slide showing the 8 liters
not sure what to make of this.
Quote:
Quote:
In 11 minute about 8 litters of blood is lost in the case mentioned on the video (from a .357 magnum chest gun shot wound (which also did not exit wound)
That's a lot of blood loss considering the average adult has less than 6 liters to start with.
Old August 27, 2012, 06:44 AM   #23
CajunBass

Quote:
Hey! Common man. He got hit by a 45! Man, if you don't think that will squeeze a couple extra liters out of you...
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 27, 2012, 07:32 AM   #24
mete

Somewhere out in video land there's a video of a cop who is attacked and he shoots the perp with his 45. It had almost no effect !! You hear the cop saying 'I thought the 45 was much better than that ' !
Of course his real problem was that he gut shot the perp .

ONLY GOOD hits count !

Stopping power involves the nervous system not loss of blood. 45 can do that.
Old August 27, 2012, 07:51 AM   #25
SRH78

I like the 45 and it is a good cartridge but the effectiveness of all the service cartridges are over rated and none more than the 45. That is not knocking the cartridge. That is knocking the fools with diarrhea of the mouth.
Closed Thread