The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 19, 2000, 10:35 PM   #1
Cliff

Otherwise known as a "Mossberg "GI" .22 caliber clip repeater bolt action rifle."

I believe it was manufactured in the '40's.

My question - can anyone tell me how many were manufactured?

I would like to find one (to replace the one stolen many years ago). All help appreciated.

Thank you.

Cliff
Old January 20, 2000, 08:29 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Cliff:
According to my records the rifle was made from 1943-1948. It is a redesign of the earlier model 44B, and was used primarily for military marksmanship training during WWII.

I have a Model 44, not the US and find it a great little gun. It is a military collectable but parts are difficult to find. I need a bolt and a trigger guard should you ever find a source.

Shhould you ever need the assem/disassem instructions, with photos I can provide that also.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited January 20, 2000).]

Old January 20, 2000, 10:13 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Mossberg More Gun For The Money; The History of O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. by Victor Havlin and Cheryl Havlin
The 44US target trainer was designed exclusively for the war department, and intended solely for use by U.S. troops. OFM had filled orders for almost 58,000 units from 1943-1945, with another 19,000-plus scheduled but not shipped due to contract cut-backs and cancellations near the end of the war.
The 44US was adapted from the pre-war 44B model, and , like the 42MB, the adaptations were mostly made to keep costs down. Ordnance wanted an accurate, dependable, heavy-barreled trainer, and sacrificed some cosmetic detail to make it affordable. While the 44B featured a deluxe, genuine walnut stock with long beavertail and cheek piece, the 44US stock was plain, usually birch with walnut finish. Gone also was the four-position front swivel plate, and both front and rear swivels were fixed, rather than detachable, on the 44US. The plain S-122 front sight was requested, and the government wanted a new receiver peep sight - rejecting the No.4. While Harold Mossberg was busy designing this new sight for the United Stated, the first batrch of 14,500went out with Lyman 57MS receiver peeps.
The United States Armed Forces continued to train with the Mossberg 44US target .22 after the war, using supplies in Ordnance from these contracts, and some rifles may be found with branch markings, such as U.S. Navy and some Coast Guard trainers stamped U.S.C.G. The navy continued its training with Mossberg target .22s for over four decades, commissioning a Model 144US in later contracts (1949-1960) and used both in active service training and at Naval Junior ROTC academies. The United States Air Force and U.S. Army also acquired the later 144US, and as late as 1989, Rock Island Arsenal reported a total of 3,552 of these models in current stock. Approximately 2,500 of these were still in active use, primarily as trainers. Government nomenclature designates these rifles as either "M13" grade (training rifle) or "M12" grade (match use).
If interested I can give a breakdown by contracts (date, contract, quantity, Unist $, and serial number range).

Old January 20, 2000, 10:02 PM   #4
Cliff

Wow!!! GREAT info! Thank you.

Harley - try: http://www.chestnutridge.com/products/misc.asp

According to their website, they have a model 44 stock for sale that includes trigger guard and buttplate - $25.00.

fal308 - Thank you for the historical info.

According to the original instruction packet (I still have it) the 44US(d) did have the walnut stock, as well as the detachable swivels. Perhaps the "(d)" was a civilian enhanced version and not mentioned in the Mossberg history.

Cliff
Old January 21, 2000, 07:01 AM   #5
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Cliff:
Thanks for the page. I have ordered it.

HJN